Boris Starter Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Website Royal Distributing Number : SKUA11-2796 Wolftech starter for Polaris low price

Attachments

• 515A92B3-5562-499A-AE0A-EC24A2104E61.jpeg
    515A92B3-5562-499A-AE0A-EC24A2104E61.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
There are 30 manufactures of this same starter. Everyone is a little different yet fit the same application. None are created equal. From complete garbage to pretty good to awesome.
Some have terrible balance on armature. Some used as a starter motor for boats where someone is likely to run it up to full rpm are not made for that and will sling the armature apart. In actual ATV starter application they are always under rpm limited load of gear box they drive and the engine they are trying to start.
The shafts are all different diameters for same starter because slight variations of gear O.D. doesn't matter to the gear mesh the taller gear just intersects with other gear a little deeper but it matters when you want one pulley to fit another starter.
They do not all produce the same torque either.

I have starter motors in stock that are best quality that I build my starters with. Replacement starter motor would be $68 plus $10 to ship.

There are 30 manufactures of this same starter. Everyone is a little different yet fit the same application. None are created equal. From complete garbage to pretty good to awesome.
Some have terrible balance on armature. Some used as a starter motor for boats where someone is likely to run it up to full rpm are not made for that and will sling the armature apart. In actual ATV starter application they are always under rpm limited load of gear box they drive and the engine they are trying to start.
The shafts are all different diameters for same starter because slight variations of gear O.D. doesn't matter to the gear mesh the taller gear just intersects with other gear a little deeper but it matters when you want one pulley to fit another starter.
They do not all produce the same torque either.

I have starter motors in stock that are best quality that I build my starters with. Replacement starter motor would be $68 plus $10 to ship.
I don’t need one at present but you will be my go to sir.
Bill

I bought a starter off ebay today just didnt realize rrc had them I wonder if they hold differently to shaft on the pulley . The ebay one came with the handle screws stripped and the pulley fell off ran down the back of the boat we were running boats out of and sank in 12 feet of water, I agree some are junk. it had two set screws that held it to a geared shaft and even going over starter and tightening everything it still went flying. now having to return and the search is on for another starter. Using a Sullivan starter I gave my self tennis elbow , Really hoped this would hold up it was real nice for 2 starts. What a shame.

Attachments

• 20211014_203904.jpg
    20211014_203904.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 32
Rea
I bought a starter off ebay today just didnt realize rrc had them I wonder if they hold differently to shaft on the pulley . The ebay one came with the handle screws stripped and the pulley fell off ran down the back of the boat we were running boats out of and sank in 12 feet of water, I agree some are junk. it had two set screws that held it to a geared shaft and even going over starter and tightening everything it still went flying. now having to return and the search is on for another starter. Using a Sullivan starter I gave my self tennis elbow , Really hoped this would hold up it was real nice for 2 starts. What a shame.
Reach out to Chow Ken of TFL on Facebook. I think he’ll arrange a replacement part no issues.

Rea

Reach out to Chow Ken of TFL on Facebook. I think he’ll arrange a replacement part no issues.
I have been talking to Chow tonight. and the one I purchased off ebay is not his starter. . He said his pulley is fixed to the starter motor and is not removable and he does not have pulley separate. I went ahead and ordered one from you . I will just send the other one back. I appreciate the reply Bill.

Last edited:
I have been talking to Chow tonight. and the one I purchased off ebay is not his starter. . He said his pulley is fixed to the starter motor and is not removable and he does not have pulley separate. I went ahead and ordered one from you . I will just send the other one back. I appreciate the reply Bill.
Tracking coming shortly.

Tracking coming shortly.
Hi Bill I received the starter today. Chow was saying that they were non removable and was affixed to the shaft. I really don't want this one falling into the lake as well.There is no flat spot for the set screws. should I make one ? I really hoped this one was pressed on. ughhhh

Attachments

• 20211019_120209.jpg
    20211019_120209.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211019_112744.jpg
    20211019_112744.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211019_120159.jpg
    20211019_120159.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have two Boris starters that we’ve used several years. Those motors don’t sound the smoothest either but they keep working.

I have two Boris starters that we’ve used several years. Those motors don’t sound the smoothest either but they keep working.
It needs roll pins captured with a set screw on each side in case it needs removed I would think. The ebay starter motor was smoother and had more rpm . I just don't know this cost 42 dollars more and seems to be the same animal with a cheaper motor on it .

What i sell may cost more because I don’t wait for shipping by ship. I use air and i get hit with about 25% customs duty on every one.
i have a goid number of these out there as people wanted something since Boris passed. Daniel Place makes a wonderful unit also. If for some reason the motor becomes an issue, Daniel Place sells the replacement motor for $60.00 as I understand.

What i sell may cost more because I don’t wait for shipping by ship. I use air and i get hit with about 25% customs duty on every one.
i have a goid number of these out there as people wanted something since Boris passed. Daniel Place makes a wonderful unit also. If for some reason the motor becomes an issue, Daniel Place sells the replacement motor for $60.00 as I understand.
I totally understand Bill and I do appreciate you sending it fast and getting me boating . I just have had a string of incompetence lately with a lot of stuff and Its all getting to me . This world is just not kind to a perfectionist.
I noticed the other day I actually have the same starter sitting in a box that is for a Suzuki z400 .So if it fails Ill throw that in there. I did make a notch in the gear teeth with a carbide and double set screw the back screw that way it cant come loose and if it wears on the set screw hopefully it wont go rolling off the back of the boat.Thanks again for your time.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bill,
You asked about a replacement motor for Boris starter. I have them but they aren't going to fit the Chinese starters if that is what you meant. But yes I can supply any part on my starters if one ever needs something. Fully rebuildable in every way.

My starter motor would never fit or work for a replacement motor for the Chinese starters. My motor is 1 1/2 times bigger, mounts differently and the switches they have barely enough for the little motor they use. My motors require switching be done with a starter solenoid relay. The wiring they have will not support the amperage my motor requires. The little XT60 plug and #12 wiring and the switch they use would all be a issue for anything more, And doubtful the pulley off it would fit the shaft on mine.

Last edited:
Bill,
You asked about a replacement motor for Boris starter. I have them but they aren't going to fit the Chinese starters if that is what you meant. But yes I can supply any part on my starters if one ever needs something. Fully rebuildable in every way.

My starter motor would never fit or work for a replacement motor for the Chinese starters. My motor is 1 1/2 times bigger, mounts differently and the switches they have barely enough for the little motor they use. My motors require switching be done with a starter solenoid relay. The wiring they have will not support the amperage my motor requires. The little XT60 plug and #12 wiring and the switch they use would all be a issue for anything more, And doubtful the pulley off it would fit the shaft on mine.
Hi Daniel. I would like to see a picture of your starters . do you have one you could show me ? thanks Dave

Bill I felt I owe you more thanks than I had given . I shouldn't have criticized your product before I tested it a while. I love love this starter and It is a game changer for my arm and being able to start these boats easily. I really appreciate the fast shipping and being kind when I complained before I gave it a chance.

Daniel,
Forgive me. My response was based on what i thought you indicated in a separate thread saying you had a motor replacement. I stand corrected. Certainly the reviews on the chinese starter are mixed.

Back