Bobby Tom Has Passed Away

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
I was informed on a Facebook posting that long time model tunnel boat racer, Bobby Tom, passed away yesterday, April 30. Bobby worked at K&B Manufacturing for many years and Airtronics. I always looked forward to opportunities to interact with Bobby whether it was at a model boat race or talking on the phone. He was an excellent modeler and truly loved by everyone.

JD

One of the Downey K&B "good guys"....:(
The old Downey K&B gang are now just about totally gone....
I don't think the current RC boating community has any idea how much the start of RC boating
was a directly attributed to K&B .....Bobby was a big part of that contribution to RC boating...
Really sad to hear about Bobby.... I talked to him about a month ago and he was still talking
RC boating from his wheel chair....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.. Bobby Trusted me and I trusted him.. he was a great man.

RIP Bobby and thank you for all you have inspired.

Grim

Last edited:
Damnnnn...another of my old friends gone. Maybe they have a nice lake where you are going.

Charles

I left a message on Bobby's phone yesterday morning to call me because I have not heard from him in a while. This is a shock. I was expecting him to call me today. Bobby was such a good guy. Always laughing and happy. The last time we talked he was telling me how much he had enjoyed outboard tunnel racing and how much he missed it. Bobby was in sales at K&B and would always call and tell us when K&B was about to make changes to their production parts. He also sponsored me when he was with Airtronics. He will be missed. I wish now that I had called a few days earlier than I did.

Bobby was one of the good guys. The pictures are from Judy and Richard Hazlewood (a couple of Bobby's very close friends.

Rest in Peace NAMBA #1776

Attachments

• Bobby Tom.jpg
    Bobby Tom.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Bobby Tom 1.jpg
    Bobby Tom 1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
78292_14.JPG I met Bobby at the 1998 NAMBA Nationals. He was wonderful about helping a new boater (me) with K&B parts for my old K&B 7.5. Over the years he made sure the northwest boaters got great service to keep our abused race engines running. He was always friendly when I talked to him at the following nationals and Northwest Expo's K&B booth. He was a great asset to model boating. His death marks the passing of an era.

Lohring Miller

I will never forget the first phone conversation I had with Bobby, probably in the late 70's. Then a couple of years later, I went out there and he gave me a tour thru K&B. Such a nice man and that is the way I will remember him.

Rest in peace Bobby. A great modeler and friend. He gave me and many others so much support over the years. He'll be truly missed.

I met Bobby at the Airtronics booth many years ago at the Toledo Show. He was really bored and he seemed to light up once we started talking about boats. He gave me his business card and told me to call him anytime.

I remember meeting Bobby at the Namba Nationals in Seaside CA (1980?) I had won 21 Deep Vee (similar to offshore) and he came over to congratulate me. He handed me me a piston and sleeve, said Try this! I will never forget his generosity and his kind demeanor.

He was a good guy!

Back