Blowed up motor....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasted wages

Supporting Member
Blew up the inside motor ( Black/Gold CMB .90 ) in my twin ( CMDI twin eagle) this weekend.

Here's what happened,,,I suspect....

Threw the boat in,,jumped up on the pipes,, made 1 lap and tweaked the needle 1 click...

made another hard lap,, checked water as it came by..OK ,,,down the back straightaway,,

threw it hard into 4-5-6,,,I heard an engine overrev and pop...

It sounded like the prop fell off,,,when I brought the boat in everything was there ,,,

Upon closer inspection I found the wrist pin clip had come out,, wedged itself in the exhaust port

and jerked the bottom out of the piston...

This boat has never had a problem keeping the props hooked up ( H-29's cupped up )

I also found the left front wood insert that holds the boom in place had pulled out of the wood block in the hull.

Is it possible that when I threw it into the turn that the tub twisted and lifted the prop completely out of the water ??

Oh and does anyone have a new P/S they want to sell ?? :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Paul Stirton in Australia can hook you up with a bar stock piston and a rechromed liner for $135.00 . They have a real sweet fit . If you need contact info for him call me at the shop , 409 296 2052 . ERNIE

All I can say is that Paul does top notch work and the turn around is awsome. I had him do up a Picco bluehead piston and the work was second to none. He even included new clips. Ryon Shaw

It is possible that the motor failure lifted the back end when the prop stopped turning. If the blade face is in the right direction it will lift the back end out of the water cause the other motor to overrev.

Mike

It is possible that the motor failure lifted the back end when the prop stopped turning. If the blade face is in the right direction it will lift the back end out of the water cause the other motor to overrev.Mike
Mike,, You could be exactly right..

Hard to describe the exact sound, but I know one of the engines was screaming above the other..for a second or two...

not the typical "bark" the engines make as the props load and unload like when the boat skips across a wake...I really thought I threw a prop off the boat.

I checked drive dog set screws,,tight.,,,,the cable collets on the engine were tight,,,

Having the nutsert pull loose from the mounting block on the left front boom tube maybe what caused it ....

As the boat turned right hard into the turn,,, the tub would tend to push down on the left front correct ?

If the left front boom deflected 1/4 " upward the tub would tend to raise the right rear ( inside engine) Right ?

The prop could have cavitated at this point....

( not debating here just searching for input.... )

Ernie,,Thanks for taking the time to talk with me yesterday,,,

I spoke with Paul Stirton this morning,,He is still doing the piston and sleeve work...

I will be boxing up a few of them this weekend and shipping them off.

Paul sounds like a top notch guy.

Thanks, Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back