Big power on little boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryConrad

There seems to be more than a few of Carl’s Shaman tunnels racing in the south east that aren’t powered by canister muffled K&B’s. How well do these CMB, Novarossi, and Nelson powered craft finish heats,racing against similarly powered 40 size Vision’s HTB360’s, XT460 Leecraft’s, Dragon’s and Woodstuff’s ?

I will say, those things are a ride! It is a setup that is on the edge of too much, but once you get it down they are hard to beat.
My Shaman with a .46 took top 5 at the tunnel champs last year, second place in district racing for the year, including two firsts, and has held its own with plenty of the larger boats in less than favorable conditions. Mike Talley also took third place in district I believe with his .46 powered Shaman. I think the rough water aspect doesn’t hold much weight in difference between a majority of the hulls. I’ve seen a 38 inch wood stuff side by side to my Shaman in the same conditions.
The Dragon is probably the one hull that I have yet to see have a rough condition it didn’t handle well. Kris runs in four foot chop over there though so I see why. Lol

When I first got my Warhead, I only had a Shaman instruction manual to go by. My first setup was a K&B lower spaced back from the transom on a highjacker mount. The boat was fast with my Nelson but I didn’t like how it behaved in the turns. Then I put a lawless lower unit on it and it improved somewhat. Then I asked Carl what the prop face setback and initial balance point should be. The lawless on a highjacker, with an 1/8” spacer and a slight shift in my weight distribution totally transformed how that boat behaved on the water.
The Shaman I recently acquired is setup to the manual specs and feels like a lot lighter boat than my Warhead was and the overall length is much less with the shorter sponson length, and shorter lower unit.

Just make sure you keep the motor neutral ad weight to bring nose down .we run lawless and 2 inch mount to 1/2 inch mount both are hard to beat

Back