Bent con rod

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Fantauzzi

Yesterday I flipped my 1/8 shovel nose for the first time ever. Once I got it back and tried to expel the water out of the engine, it wouldn't turn. When I took the engine apart I noticed the con rod was bent.

Does this happen often? What caused it to bend...sudden hydrolock?

Vince

Varying amounts of damage can occur when water tries to compress in a cylinder. With engines that are built with strong rods ( ie; Zenoah, RCMK ), the cranks themselves can be tweaked out of faze ( 3 piece - pressed together ). Engines with CY rods are time bombs. If yours swallowed enough water to bend the rod, you'll need to inspect everything carefully as there is probably further damage.

Varying amounts of damage can occur when water tries to compress in a cylinder. With engines that are built with strong rods ( ie; Zenoah, RCMK ), the cranks themselves can be tweaked out of faze ( 3 piece - pressed together ). Engines with CY rods are time bombs. If yours swallowed enough water to bend the rod, you'll need to inspect everything carefully as there is probably further damage.

Yup, there's also a good scuff on the piston and a lesser one on the cylinder. 😣

Sounds the same as mine from years ago. New piston, sleeve, crank, and rod was needed. If you blow off, close that carb as fast as you can. Get that thing shut down so no water get in intake.
Mike

Vince, you said 1/8 scale. I assumed it was a nitro motor, but see you posted in gas forum. Not that hip on gas motors. :cool:
When gas started, they were putting them into scale boats. There was no specific gas boats at the time.

Sounds the same as mine from years ago. New piston, sleeve, crank, and rod was needed. If you blow off, close that carb as fast as you can. Get that thing shut down so no water get in intake.
Mike
It happened too fast...it had just got on plane, it hit a swell and flipped sideways. My fault, the lake was too choppy for that style of hull. Live and learn.
Vince

Back