bearing test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clean it off with alcohol and spin it. if it feels even a little rough change it.

David

Is there a way to test a bearing to see if is good or not?
Do NOT spin with air!!! Quickest way to screw up a bearing

Clean real well with like brakeclean spin by hand and feel for ANY ticks in it.

look at the balls, themselve's with a magnifying glass while spinning slowly, look for any discoloring on the ball, or "chunkage" missing

I used to think that was a real cool way to clean them off ( Chevy and Ford front hub bearings) back when I was a young buck turning a wrench on cars,

Until one blew up and about jerked my finger off when it locked up
blink.gif

Andy

I used to think that was a real cool way to clean them off ( Chevy and Ford front hub bearings) back when I was a young buck turning a wrench on cars,

Until one blew up and about jerked my finger off when it locked up
blink.gif

Andy
Yepper,,, Coasties could make some good "horror" stories of EXPLODED bearings, done with an air chuck

Kawasaki Z- 1 tranny gears and crank bearings.. races ..side by side ..two air hoses ..spin em up and let em rip across the parking lot !! Almost as good as Rim Out burnouts with customers bikes till the tire blows off the rim in a huge enveloping cloud of smoke ..those were the days !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most bearings are ruined just by removing them. Banging on the inner race pecks the balls < what did I say :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are checking the bearings in your engine, just slide out the crank and turn each inner race over with your finger tip. If you feel anything other than smooth with your finger, replace the bearing.

If you are checking a bearing that is not in your engine, hold the outer race with the fingers of one and and turn the inner race over with a finger tip. Again, the race must be smooth through out turning it over.

Your fingers are sensitive enough to feel any worn spots.

Al Hobbs

Kawasaki Z- 1 tranny gears and crank bearings.. races ..side by side ..two air hoses ..spin em up and let em rip across the parking lot !! Almost as good as Rim Out burnouts with customers bikes till the tire blows off the rim in a huge enveloping cloud of smoke ..those were the days !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm glad i never had my H-2 at your shop :rolleyes: ........actually, it's never had anyone else's hands or tools on it since i bought it in '78.

i'm glad i never had my H-2 at your shop :rolleyes: ........actually, it's never had anyone else's hands or tools on it since i bought it in '78.
H- 2 's were one of the most highly abused items along with RD -400's , GT 550's etc! :)

Aahh, I have some fond memories of the Mach III's. I had a '71 H1 and a Friend had a '75 H2 with tuned pipes and lots of internal engine work. My 500 was the best bike for doing wheelies I ever owned...and fast for its era.

denco waved their magic wand over mine, still not too shabby by today's standards B) . if you know triples, you'll know who denco was.

another way i like to check bearings is to mount them on a prop balancing shaft with the cones to hold the inner race firmly. then spin the outer race quickly with your fingers. any vibration can be easily felt in the shaft. even if nothing is felt, any noise other than a low whirring is bad. or any break in the noise/erratic sounds. bad bearings aren't quiet......

H- 2 's were one of the most highly abused items along with RD -400's , GT 550's etc! :)

Still have fond memory's of my Cagiva WMX125. Have a few pistons with holes in them and a custom made LA sleeve in the tool box for keepsakes.

Latest posts

Back