Battery question for outboard gas tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LawlessMan

I have a question asked by a customer about using a 7.2v LiPo battery in a Gas outboard tunnel. I personally have not done this. I have always used 4 non-rechargeable batteries, but with the widespread use of LiPo lately, I wondered if anyone has gone to using them for this "general " purpose. It would be powering a servo gearbox with a (approx) 250 oz/in digital servo and the receiver. Any thoughts? Too much "gun", perhaps?

Hello Fred,

A 2S lipo is a good choice for a high torque servos as they hold their voltage better under high loads compared to other chemistries. The capacity also has an impact here too. Generally you need to make all the other components are also OK to use a 2S lipo. Most all receivers are 2S capable, but check the throttle servo, it also has to be capable of 7.4V.

Otherwise the only concern is storing and checking voltage. At the end of the day unplug the lipo from the plug and check the voltage. Ideally you would store it between 3.7-3.85V/cell.

-Tyler

Hey Fred,
With my dads gas tunnel we have switched to the 1800 pack from Daniel Place (I believe is his name). Been through two race weekends without having to recharge it, runs the gearbox and throttle flawless. Running a standard hitec servo for throttle.

I use 7.4v Li-Po's in all my boats. Work perfectly as long as you have all HV servos and Rx. Have had far fewer issues with HV setups than I ever had with standard stuff on ni-mh's.

As mentioned you need a monitoring system. I know all my batteries can last an entire morning switched on, plus have voltage telemetry on the Tx

I use 7.4v Li-Po's in all my boats. Work perfectly as long as you have all HV servos and Rx. Have had far fewer issues with HV setups than I ever had with standard stuff on ni-mh's.

As mentioned you need a monitoring system. I know all my batteries can last an entire morning switched on, plus have voltage telemetry on the Tx
I am quite new to FE myself, and I am not sure what monitoring system you are referring to. Is that perhaps part of the charger, or something you install in the boat?

The cheapest method you could use would be a beeper, it connects to the balance connector and screams at you when the voltage gets low. The below video shows the type I'm on about

Thank you. I watched the video and learned a lot. The only thing that was not mentoned was the price, but it likes it should be inexpensive insurance.

I went looking on Wish and found a place that sells 10 of the un-housed ones for $18.00. plus about $10 for shipping, and another that sells 5 of the ones with the plastic case for $15 plus shipping. I plan to order the 5 piece set because I like the housing idea. I imagine they're also available on Amazon (what isn't?). Thanks again.

Back