Batteries for Futaba 3PMX trans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beardslee

Supporting Member
I switched out the original AA tray years ago for 1500 mah, LiFE 3S1P flat packs. Now I’m trying to locate new LiFe packs but can’t seem to locate any. Lots of LiPo 11.1v, 7.4v, or LiFe 6.6 that would fit. How low or high voltage will the trans function with? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks John

Let me look to see if i have one (not sure).. its yours if I do...

Another option is to go to NiCads.. (I hate NiMH).. McMaster Carr sells good old NiCads..

Grim

Thanks for the replies. If I go back to AA type cells I think I’d use dry cells instead of a rechargeable nicads or nimhs. l may call Futaba and see if I could use 6.6v packs to power trans or 11.1v packs.
Thanks John

I have some Futaba Nicads that are 10 years old.. LOL.. now its a quest to see how long they last!

The nice thing about your system is a charge on a set of Nicads is good for MANY hours of use. Likey in the 12 hour range.. you will never use it up on a weekend of racing..

I do however understand the advantage of AAs.. for me I just never allow the low voltage alarm to go off before replacement.. and to "Replace" the nicads I just toss them on charge!

Stay warm in Sunny FL..

Grim

John,

I looked.. I do not have a battery.. sorry bout that.. thought I did!

Grim

I switched out the original AA tray years ago for 1500 mah, LiFE 3S1P flat packs. Now I’m trying to locate new LiFe packs but can’t seem to locate any. Lots of LiPo 11.1v, 7.4v, or LiFe 6.6 that would fit. How low or high voltage will the trans function with? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks John
I use the lipo 3 cell 11.1 packs in my 3pmx

Geeez, that was easy, thanks Phil, I checked with Mike Betke and he’s using the LiPo as well, so I ordered some. For some reason I always forget that most of these systems were designed around 8 AA dry cells which are 1.5 volts per cell and 12 volts total. So the 11.1 volt LiPo pack is a great option.
Thanks again, John

John,

Something to ponder.. please remove the lipo and place it in your safe storage container when not in use. Its simple and safe.

Aha.. what the heck.. I have no idea why I keep mentioning this.. VERY VERY few do it. Maybe the failure numbers are just not there so its a mute point. Never the less when you see one gut a van.. it gets your attention!

Grim

John,

Something to ponder.. please remove the lipo and place it in your safe storage container when not in use. Its simple and safe.

Aha.. what the heck.. I have no idea why I keep mentioning this.. VERY VERY few do it. Maybe the failure numbers are just not there so its a mute point. Never the less when you see one gut a van.. it gets your attention!

Grim
That’s always been my practice, heck I never leave a battery pack in an aircraft or boat either. Bears mentioning frequently, never charge out of site, ie: I always charge while I’m right there to observe and my. Charging station is ceramic tile with nothing flammable at hand and a bucket of sand close just in case.

Cool.. just so you know.. charging and discharging are not the only time/s i have seen them go up.

So.. your right.. cannot be too careful.

For me.... I would hate to see anybody in my family get hurt because I "always did it that way"... or loose some of my expensive models for the same reason.. every Lipo i have goes into the fire safe when not in use.. (fire safe is in the garage).

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...MIlpD_39ma5wIVTtbACh1zTAwqEAQYASABEgIe3PD_BwE

Got mine at Amazon 200 bucks delivered.

Thanks

Grim

The 3 PM-X uses 3S LiPo 11/1 volt packs. In stock $34 and $5 shipping.

I have the highest capacity 2750 packs available for those transmitters. These packs last about 3 to 4 months of running one day every week. They are incredible the run time they give these radios. Would take charging the NiCad/NiMh packs almost 10 times to get same run time.

You definitely do not compare milliamp hour of these packs to that of NiCad or NiMh as there is no correlation. The ratings are not the same across different chemistry packs.

Last edited:
Anii TK!

EVERYTHING.. LOL.. the largest issue I ran into (with all the testing and crap we did back at Hobbico) was they were so inconstant.

I would have a pack last a number of years and then some last months.. Same charging and care procedures. Testing on labview confirmed those results. Batch to batch the life span swung wildly. NICADs did not perform that way.. they did not have the capacity BUT.. for me.. I did not care. So what.. its a 600mah in my boat.. LOL.. i have never used that up in a race day anyway. Each run was about 50mah depending..

NICADs do a better job of going dormant and coming back too. Its best to cycle them all but nicads "come back" better.. again.. using Labview programs to run the packs.

LiFe is still by far the best I have used. But a good second choice for me in Nicads.. I will never buy or use another NIMPH.. (just not for me) (I have replaced the NIMPHs 3 times in my BM flow meter.. and thats making sure I take care of the batts.. (nope.. no NIMPH for me!)

Grim

Onyinya Grim dude. I'll never forget that dream I had about your grandfather at the Nats you guys ran in EVille, what a deal.

I've been using "whatever" brand 2000 mah packs in my tx's and the 2/3AA 1600's in my boats for years, generally run them for 5 years and replace. I did have one rx pack go bad last winter, I keep them plugged in on trickle with an old Ace Digipulse but that one pack had a cell go bad.

I cycle check them each Spring with my Triton.

Anii TK!

EVERYTHING.. LOL.. the largest issue I ran into (with all the testing and crap we did back at Hobbico) was they were so inconstant.

I would have a pack last a number of years and then some last months.. Same charging and care procedures. Testing on labview confirmed those results. Batch to batch the life span swung wildly. NICADs did not perform that way.. they did not have the capacity BUT.. for me.. I did not care. So what.. its a 600mah in my boat.. LOL.. i have never used that up in a race day anyway. Each run was about 50mah depending..

NICADs do a better job of going dormant and coming back too. Its best to cycle them all but nicads "come back" better.. again.. using Labview programs to run the packs.

LiFe is still by far the best I have used. But a good second choice for me in Nicads.. I will never buy or use another NIMPH.. (just not for me) (I have replaced the NIMPHs 3 times in my BM flow meter.. and thats making sure I take care of the batts.. (nope.. no NIMPH for me!)

Grim

As related to the OP's radio the 3PM-X.
Life is worthless in a 3PM-X radio. Life is perfect for 6 volt based Futaba radios but not the 12 volt stuff like 3PM, 3PM-X, 3PK and 3PKS. The problem is a 3S LiFe is only 9.9 volt and it is too close to the 8.5 volt low battery setting for those radio's that is why we use LiPo 11.1 volt 3S in them so they are at 12.6 volt to start with and a long way from triggering low battery.

The only company I know of selling a LiFe 3S to fit the 3PM-X discontinued it for obvious reasons. It pretty much sucked because voltage is too low for the radio's.

Back