Back in the day......relived!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
038.JPG039.JPG040.JPG044.JPGThe first inboard I built waayyy back in 1981, before I did any racing......redid it in 1991, put a K&B 3.5 car motor in it, and it sat on a shelf for 29 years!! Until Sunday....to my amazement, with a little tinkering the ol motor lit off...and sounded good! Unfortunately, I couldn't put it in the water because of an overly curious gator and a bad pushrod seal which I discovered right after I got it started!
in the last pic, I found this in a drawer in my shop...forgot I had it! its NIB. This was a very common radio used by racers way back! For any of ya's that played with cars back in the 70s/80s, those wires in the bottom of the pic are Associated charge cords that came with with car kit.....no timer or switch...you just hooked 'em up! Better have a watch or an alarm clock though!! Enjoy!! Oh the boat will go in the water next time! Brings back a BUNCH of great memories!

View attachment 279166View attachment 279167View attachment 279168View attachment 279169The first inboard I built waayyy back in 1981, before I did any racing......redid it in 1991, put a K&B 3.5 car motor in it, and it sat on a shelf for 29 years!! Until Sunday....to my amazement, with a little tinkering the ol motor lit off...and sounded good! Unfortunately, I couldn't put it in the water because of an overly curious gator and a bad pushrod seal which I discovered right after I got it started!
in the last pic, I found this in a drawer in my shop...forgot I had it! its NIB. This was a very common radio used by racers way back! For any of ya's that played with cars back in the 70s/80s, those wires in the bottom of the pic are Associated charge cords that came with with car kit.....no timer or switch...you just hooked 'em up! Better have a watch or an alarm clock though!! Enjoy!! Oh the boat will go in the water next time! Brings back a BUNCH of great memories!
I still have my brown box radios !!

Interesting looking cowls. Was that a Dumas Pak?
Yes it is Mark! I never liked the looks of the full cowl on the pak, and I wanted to build a dummy engine for it, but never got around to it.......I kind of just did my own thing with the cowls that are on the boat. I am building a new .20 Pak that looks a little more authentic...and hopfully will find or build a dummy engine for it.....!

There is a guy here in the Puget Sound basin that is 3D printing dummy engine parts that might be able to help you out. Since I'm at work, I'll have to wait until I get home to give you his information

I still have my brown box radios !!
Sticks or wheels or both?? Ill bet they probably still work! Futaba's are amazing!
Okay Bill, now that I'm home, I've got the information I promised. The website address is
https://www.spartacusboatworks.com/
Okay Bill, now that I'm home, I've got the information I promised. The website address is
https://www.spartacusboatworks.com/
Many Thanks Mark.......I will contact!

Nice Pak there. You may be able to rotate the muffler end caps and have the exhaust point upward.
Good to know I am not the only one who still collect Dumas kits.

Here are my Drag N Fli. The original .20 shovel nose was my first hydro that I built in late 70's. I then started the pickle forked version some 20 years ago. I am finishing it now and will paint it the Coors light scheme.
I, too, have a brown box wheel. I recently picked up two gold box EG stick.

Attachments

• C319D6ED-767E-4781-A749-E7E56384BCFA.jpeg
    C319D6ED-767E-4781-A749-E7E56384BCFA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
Nice Pak there. You may be able to rotate the muffler end caps and have the exhaust point upward.
Good to know I am not the only one who still collect Dumas kits.

Here are my Drag N Fli. The original .20 shovel nose was my first hydro that I built in late 70's. I then started the pickle forked version some 20 years ago. I am finishing it now and will paint it the Coors light scheme.
I, too, have a brown box wheel. I recently picked up two gold box EG stick.
Kez, those boats look BEAUTIFUL! Ive got the 20 Drag N Fli kit, and hope to get started on it soon! I have so much fun going back in time with this stuff!!

Attachments

• 3DEBA90C-6886-4374-8881-AC8457CFBFA8.jpeg
    3DEBA90C-6886-4374-8881-AC8457CFBFA8.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 82EA62D6-C818-4F2D-ADAC-88D0B5A80C39.jpeg
    82EA62D6-C818-4F2D-ADAC-88D0B5A80C39.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 49
John, Thank you for posting this! It’s awesome! I love back in the day stuff!
Ya know......that looks a bit like a Pinckert Little Hoss.......do you remember those??
I remember the radio was nothing then either a wheel or 2 sticks and 2 trims......and that was IT!!

John, Thank you for posting this! It’s awesome! I love back in the day stuff!
Ya know......that looks a bit like a Pinckert Little Hoss.......do you remember those??
I remember the radio was nothing then either a wheel or 2 sticks and 2 trims......and that was IT!!
Hi Bill,
No wheels back then, only 2 stick radios. Don’s Hoss boats were true inboard designs mine was an outboard design (kneeler) adapted to a model inboard. It was a surface drive that was parallel, it had aluminum air traps that had adjustable dumps to control how high It flew the sponsons, a lot of na sayers in our Detroit club at that time. I had to modify Octura props for it, that was the beginning of “Beardslee’s Prop Service”. The motor mount was aluminum but was dampened with polyurethane spacers

I wouldn't say I "collect" Dumas kits but I do have a redesigned 20 Pak sitting in my living room, am working on the kit(when I get the chance that is) and have a pair of Dumas kits in the garage, a (sorta) scale Circus and a sport 40 Eagle that are both still in their boxes. I figure I'll build those two and finish both of the Paks when I get the rest of my boats done

I wouldn't say I "collect" Dumas kits but I do have a redesigned 20 Pak sitting in my living room, am working on the kit(when I get the chance that is) and have a pair of Dumas kits in the garage, a (sorta) scale Circus and a sport 40 Eagle that are both still in their boxes. I figure I'll build those two and finish both of the Paks when I get the rest of my boats done
Mark, I forget how many Built Dumas boats and kits I’ve still got!
I’ve got a nitro powered Eagle and an Eagle kit that I’m thinking about building as a FE......I just need to lighten it up and change the running surfaces on the sponsons!

I'm not an electric person but I am thinking about the same lightening process on both the Circus and Eagle. Since they are both framed with 3/32 mahogany door skin, I figure I can use the kits as templates and build them considerably lighter than a stock build

Mark, while we all agreed that the luan door skin Dumas used are inferior, they are actually lighter than 1/8" birch ply. I've seen some Luan door skin used balsa in the middle ply. The main issues are voids in the middle layer and they are soft.
I have started using Occume marine ply in my RC boat projects. They are much better quality with no voids in the middle ply. Occume is also slightly lighter than birch. And it has this reddish hue if you like clear finish

Mark, while we all agreed that the luan door skin Dumas used are inferior, they are actually lighter than 1/8" birch ply. I've seen some Luan door skin used balsa in the middle ply. The main issues are voids in the middle layer and they are soft.
I have started using Occume marine ply in my RC boat projects. They are much better quality with no voids in the middle ply. Occume is also slightly lighter than birch. And it has this reddish hue if you like clear finish
I recently purchased a JRX .67 Rigger from Joel, and pretty much the whole boat is built with okoume plywood, and it looks beautiful! He had mentioned to be careful with it as it will ding pretty easy until i get a coat of epoxy on it!
I really like the stuff! Yeah, the door skin is not so good, but it seems that after i put a coat or 2 of epoxy over it, it holds up pretty good...it just has to be sealed really well! My Pay n Pak in those pictures is over 40 years old, and has quite a bit of play time on it!

I prefer to drop in thickness and use birch ply. Most times I go down to 1/16 or, if it's in a lower stress area, 1/32. The only places I use 1/8 or thicker is the transoms and sponson shears and, even then, I make it just as narrow as I can for the shears and, for the transoms, IF there's stress(i.e. right sponson or rear transom), I'll laminate two thinner pieces after cutting lightening holes out of the inner one.

View attachment 279166View attachment 279167View attachment 279168View attachment 279169The first inboard I built waayyy back in 1981, before I did any racing......redid it in 1991, put a K&B 3.5 car motor in it, and it sat on a shelf for 29 years!! Until Sunday....to my amazement, with a little tinkering the ol motor lit off...and sounded good! Unfortunately, I couldn't put it in the water because of an overly curious gator and a bad pushrod seal which I discovered right after I got it started!
Is that downtown NPR?

Latest posts

Back