any pics of converted car engine to OB??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZIonOB75

hey to all outboard engine geek guys, if u have picture of a car engine converted to outboard powerhead, please post....thanks..

jul

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a question,my 3.5 OB spins clockwise looking at the flywheel from the top,car/buggy motor's spin counter clockwise...whats the solution for that (other then running a RH prop)??? Or am i missing something here?

Got a question,my 3.5 OB spins clockwise looking at the flywheel from the top,car/buggy motor's spin counter clockwise...whats the solution for that (other then running a RH prop)??? Or am i missing something here?
The Thunder Tiger lower unit shown in both pictures has a spiral bevel gearset in the lower. Thats a big deal,, saves you

from having a reverse crank made and allows many, many car, buggy and I/B engines to be used. The O.S.VZ in the pic

is essentially a VZ-M marine I/B engine, it started out as a VZ-B buggy comp engine but the VZ-M piston/sleeve and head

button gave better specs.

The VZ-B P&S w/head button are gonna work real good in another power head with a reverse crank and will probably

wind up on a O.S.XM lower unit.

I have 3 others on a TT lower, Ofna Hyper, O.S.30 VG-P-X and a Mac O/B (essentially) with a Mac buggy crank installed cut

to the O/B Mac specs. One more in the works, a Novarossi Plus buggy engine, but it looks like its going to be a major pain in

the a$$ to get adapted.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
ok better question...where do i get a TT lower unit? lol

EDIT: Never mind,hit ebay after i posted and found one,its headed to me now,price looked ok to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thunder-Tiger-3-5cc-Pr...1QQcmdZViewItem
$189 is a good price,, I paid $205 at "ThunderTiger4U". Its important to remember, not just any motor is going

to bolt up. I have bought several buggy engines, some made it, some didn't. Also the motor that comes on the

lower your buying is capable of some serious speed if modded correctly. The O.S.VZ-M has great timings but a pin

has to be installed in the crankpin, the TT pto has to be turned down on a lathe (most do except the TTBX-R buggy)

and the carb will be unusable without mods. So there are pit falls in this kind of work that you should be aware of :huh:

Come on Jerry? You mean they dont make all of these motor parts interchangeable? Would that be cool.... nah it would take the fun out of making something work better than its "supposed to"

Jerry has definately made some interesting motors work on those lowers. Good luck with you project, let us know how it turns out.

~James

Awesome! Jerry,,how's the level of difficulty converting this powerhead?

how's the performance?..

i'm aware of the big difference between marine and car engine is that marine runs most of the time wide open in contrast to car engine,thus this thing really matter?

sorry for alot of q's...

thanks again

jul

how's the performance?..

i'm aware of the big difference between marine and car engine is that marine runs most of the time wide open in contrast to car engine,thus this thing really matter?

sorry for alot of q's...

thanks again

jul
Well, You have to have access to a lathe, theres just no way of getting around that. At the very least a new headbutton

can be made for the powerhead that comes on the Thunder Tiger O/B that was shown above by BB Mods.

Every other engine will require turning the TT pto on the lathe to fit up the ass of the new powerhead. The O.S. engines

I listed use their own head buttons but the VZ has to have it's crankpin drilled for a "press fit" pin to drive the TT pto,

as with most of the car/buggy engines.

That is some fine work and I would not recomend starting with an engine that requires the crankpin mod for a first try.

The Thunder Tiger BX-R w/pull start is a good one,(long stroke version) it's $124.95 and uses the Mac O/B headbutton

($25) slighty cut down (.002") to fit.

It will take .020" sleeve shim to get the ports up a little , which is a common mod with most car engines.

I usually cut the crank timing to about 214*and cut the exhaust port up to around 180* on my engines.

The result is a very fine running heat racing engine on a cut down X640 (38 to 38.5mm), good torque and rpm.

JW

A+ comments Jerry, I have a few extra buggy blocks here that i can setup for the TT backplate, Cutting/milling is NP here,have all tools in house, Thanks for your time and reply's..Makes my decision to get the TT OB feel more solid. Ill end up putting one of my Axial .32's or a OS .30 on it.

You know i was just thinking about it,i bet i can get a good little 4 stroke adapted to marine use with a little effort,wont be fast but it will be a solid platform for my wife to play with!

A+ comments Jerry, I have a few extra buggy blocks here that i can setup for the TT backplate, Cutting/milling is NP here,have all tools in house, Thanks for your time and reply's..Makes my decision to get the TT OB feel more solid. Ill end up putting one of my Axial .32's or a OS .30 on it.
The 30 took .020" sleeve shim and it would be better with .025" shim. The piston skirt will contact the TT pto so watch for that.

With .025 shim you should be able to take some off the bottom of the piston skirt for added clearance.

There is other potential problems with using the O.S.30, tuned pipe,, mine was made for me by SPP in Australia. Also the

engine developes so much torque that the TT cable can pull the lower gear down and bind things up,, some extra tightening

of the lower unit halves and some red loc-tite for the bearing on the bottom gear.

how's the performance?..

sorry for alot of q's...

thanks again

jul
Well, You have to have access to a lathe, theres just no way of getting around that. At the very least a new headbutton

can be made for the powerhead that comes on the Thunder Tiger O/B that was shown above by BB Mods.

Every other engine will require turning the TT pto on the lathe to fit up the ass of the new powerhead. The O.S. engines

I listed use their own head buttons but the VZ has to have it's crankpin drilled for a "press fit" pin to drive the TT pto,

as with most of the car/buggy engines.

That is some fine work and I would not recomend starting with an engine that requires the crankpin mod for a first try.

The Thunder Tiger BX-R w/pull start is a good one,(long stroke version) it's $124.95 and uses the Mac O/B headbutton

($25) slighty cut down (.002") to fit.

It will take .020" sleeve shim to get the ports up a little , which is a common mod with most car engines.

I usually cut the crank timing to about 214*and cut the exhaust port up to around 180* on my engines.

The result is a very fine running heat racing engine on a cut down X640 (38 to 38.5mm), good torque and rpm.

JW

Jerry,

thanks for all the info, this is a tough job for a guy who owns a couple of tools only :lol:

hoping u keep posting the progress and other projects...keep rockin'.

BBmods,

let us know how's goin with ur project.

jul

The CMB outboard and OS outboard cranks will fit many car engines. You can use the CMB pto to adapt to the K&B lower unit. I may offer cranks in the near future that will fit the more popular (nova rossi,picco,collari,sirio) car engines. They will be reasonably priced too!

Just an update, I mentioned I was working on a "New" Novarossi PLUS21-5 L/S Buggy Engine, Production Year 2006.

Its the first buggy engine I have measured with 180*(deg) front crank rotor induction timing. This is low compared

to a mere Thunder Tiger 21 O/B stock engine,(200*) or any other motor I have messed with over the last couple years.

This is not really a big problem to overcome as I have cut crank windows in most of the other engines I have adapted.

The big problem showed up in the sleeve transfer ports being .024" "above" the case ports in the stock arrangement.

I didn't really notice it until I installed .020" sleeve shim (tightened things down) and looked into the exhaust port and

was astounded with what looked like .050" of "machined case wall" showing below the sleeve ports!

Further measurements on the case itself rang the death bell,, there's not enough case wall available (at the roof of the

case ports) to safely match up the existing .024" port misalignment! I couldn't belive what I was holding was a Novarossi

engine,,, and this is a "Nova", not a Rex or Top engine.

I contacted Jim at Fusion Motorsports and he said he didn't really know what the timings were on that motor.

I'm going to ship my engine to him so he doesn't have to open up a new engine for study.

The event did result in one good thing,, it "brought to a halt" a $2,500, year long, buggy engine buying spree to

find candidates for adaptation to O/B use. It was fun but my wife is Pissed! to say the least :ph34r:

I ordered a Axial .32,OS .30,and a fresh sportwerks .26,that should keep me busy for at least a month :)

Back