Another Lower Unit Option?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been eyeballing this unit on OSE web site for some time...but can not find any info on them other than on place I found said it was almost an exact copy of o.s. lower...but nothing more..

OSE has those in stock.
I run a .45 K&B on my 26" P/L tunnel and it is not out of scale. Actually makes the boat turn better over the same hull with an OS lower
k1.jpg
Mic

Hey Mic,
Does either one of the TFL units accept a standard O.S. Bolt pattern? Fairly certain I’ve seen them used before but can’t remember.
*Nevermind, need to read better. The bullet drive version does accept nitros!
Believe Bob Kensil was mounting .21 outboards on KB 7.5 legs for sometime, they did handle well. Longer skeg/ more unit in the water maybe?

I have been eyeballing this unit on OSE web site for some time...but can not find any info on them other than on place I found said it was almost an exact copy of o.s. lower...but nothing more..

Guess I’ll be the guinea pig, on order now! Might not get to run it for awhile but can definitely give some first looks feedback

Brandon give them a call and talk to him over the telephone they're very responsive on the phone

Last edited:
Brandon give them a call and talk to him over the telephone they're very responsive on the phone.
Ric Wally mentioned to me the TFL is a large outboard lower...not suited for the g30....

Interesting, as far as I knew it should be the same size as an O.S. .21 leg. Given, is bigger than a lawless but not by much.
Believe Rod utilized the O.S. Lower when designing the G30. It’s a fantastic unit, O.S. has just gotten a bit pricey with them. I do prefer the Lawless, but you can’t go wrong with either one.

It would be very cool if this TFL unit is a nice piece. That would be 4 outboard legs available for the small electrics/ nitros that are worth the investment.

On the OSE web site they show 3 lowers....
O.S. TFL... And another...not sure who makes it...

The Hyperformance?
Not worth the investment. They look cool and are great for scale looking builds. Lower is completely sealed so you can’t get into it and they’re a pretty awkward design. The large bullet doesn’t serve a purpose like the big boats so it can affect your trim pretty drastically and the skeg is huge.
They also have the small- scale gear drives but never heard anything good about those either.

Hyperformance also has what they call a 3.5 Angle Drive. It looks pretty darn good for the price. But, I would like to see it in my hand. If budget isn't a major issue. I would still use one of Fred's lowers. I have had very good performance out of them.

Yea...i was looking at the angle drive...looks cool...but cant find amyone or info about it

I bought an angle drive some years ago. A very nice piece of machine work but skeg is too short. Remember the difference when K&B went from the original 3.5 small skeg to the larger one. Short skeg doesn't handle well.
Mic

I read that the outboard drive is limited to 44mm props max dia.??

I don't run OB but they thought enough about it to put it in the description..

Note: Some assembly required, 44mm maximum propeller diameter.

OSE has those in stock.
I run a .45 K&B on my 26" P/L tunnel and it is not out of scale. Actually makes the boat turn better over the same hull with an OS lower
View attachment 293880
Mic
I think a lot must be said about lower units and I'm not aiming to start talking about lower units. Anyway all my best results were achieved with a 7.5 K&B lower unit

Attachments

• 20210727_001515.jpg
    20210727_001515.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
I read that the outboard drive is limited to 44mm props max dia.??

I don't run OB but they thought enough about it to put it in the description..

Note: Some assembly required, 44mm maximum propeller diameter.

Not a big deal on nitro outboards, most won’t hit a diameter over 42mm.
That stipulation is in there for electrics, which can push 445’s and up.

Ran a 1815 at the Indy/Cincy race, was keeping up with the other OPEN boats. Most were running .67 motors while I was only running 4s 2200kv on a OS lower.

Came in the mail yesterday, haven’t had time to fully assemble yet but I’ll post pics. Overall a very nice piece! The unit’s swivel pin is bushed, so that’s nice to be able to easily replace that once it gets some miles on it.
I am not a fan of the design to hold the pin it, as it is only one set screw. I will probably tap the bottom side for a 4-40 and washer to be on the safe side.
The unit honestly looks to be a blend of features from both the O.S. (Assembly design, liner removal design) and lawless (overall shape, steering arm design, engine plate mount). The bullet design and skeg shape look to be the most original concepts of the unit as a whole. I do like how sharp the leading edge of the bend is and the skeg. The included mount and mounting plate look to matchup to O.S. Holes and should give enough setback.
Hopefully can do some testing soon to see how the bullet affects boat attitude but very pleased so far.
Still would recommend a lawless to anyone looking for a proven setup, but I definitely think this would be worth a shot to anyone ready to test!

EBF5A1CB-C4F9-48E7-87C1-99975794F241.jpeg83DEF29C-B9CA-4B81-A677-DA34FBA81E4C.jpeg7399EF3D-4FC6-4A47-835C-146E490508A2.jpeg

Don’t have a lawless loose to take side by side pictures, but certainly shares VERY similar lines to it. Definitely was “inspired” by Fred’s work.
Prop distance with the mount is equivalent to the OS, and the OS assembly does screw in! Much smoother and better quality than the stock unit.
The shaft that came with mine sucks. It is not squared properly and doesn’t fit all the way in the assembly. Standard OS shafts can be used if you take a tiny bit off each end.
Transom mounting holes also match the OS units so it is a plug and play setup.
Pretty excited to get this thing tested!

Back