Another .12 mono build.....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Olson

I talked briefly about this one in another area so I thought that I'd show it here.

Steve at Offshore Electrics offered me a Delta Force 12 (25) that had some damage. He knew that I was looking for a hull like this and he had just gotten some in.

To it I added Speedmaster hardware, an LRP .12 truck engine (Picco under another nameplate) and a Hi-tec FM radio system. Other parts include an OS flywheel, Mac Products pipe for initial running as I have one of Glenn's Texan .12 pipes to try on it later. Some home-made parts like extruded carbon fiber engine rails and wood radio box. Lots of parts were tried and some tossed to the side to find what does and didn't work.

The boat should be hitting the water this week with some final work to be done. Also not in these shots is a muffler from David Preusse at CD Machine that arrived a couple of days ago.

Picture_0031.jpg

Picture_001.jpg

I'll shoot a video on it's first outing to let you see if I messed up or not! It will be on Wednesday at the earliest but hopefully before the weekend as we have thunderstorms predicted for later in the week. This is the boat that I want to put one of Andy's new rudders on as I asked him about one without a water pick-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom. It will look a lot better when I have the hatch on. That's the scary part to me when I have to make a cut-out for the tuned pipe. The boat takes on a completely new look with it on.

Ron, That looks sweet! I bet it looks even better with a hatch cover!

I will have to check my calander to see if we run while you are on Vacation.

Very nice indeed, speaking of Cowls when i was testing my Gas mono on back to back runs with the GPS putting the cowl on slowed the boat down by 3 mph. Everything else was the same and the time difference between runs was a maximum 10 minutes.. Tony J

Very nice indeed, speaking of Cowls when i was testing my Gas mono on back to back runs with the GPS putting the cowl on slowed the boat down by 3 mph. Everything else was the same and the time difference between runs was a maximum 10 minutes.. Tony J
I would be willing to bet the cowling produced more downforce on the hull. Did it look like it was running any wetter?? :blink:

The hatch for this one has a very low profile to it. I took the top 3 heat sinks off it so that I could get it on, no big deal as I would have done that anyway.

I'm trying it that way first as you can see, there isn't a lot of room left on the transom, especially on the right. I was told that the hull doesn't need them but I'll find out. If it needs them, no big deal as I can whip them up in no time.

I looked at other hardware before going with the Speedmaster parts. Octura was one of the choices as the footprints of the brackets are smaller and the ones from Aquacraft's Nitro Super-Vee 27.

Here's a comparison of those plus the differences in the hulls. The first hull has some old Warehouse Hobbies SPD-E hardware on it modded a little for a larger flex cable.

12_mono_001.jpg

Don you are 100% right it was real squatty in the water, I did not care for the ride attitude of the boat at all.. TJ

It is alive! I did a few things to get it ready for the water today including firing it up for the first time. The hatch isn't quite finished yet but that will come a little later. While I was at it I tossed together a stand.

The first shot shows the CD Machine muffler and the others just pix with the lid on. The tuned pipe mount is just a highly modded Aeromarine bracket. This thing is quieter than a popcorn fart.

Picture_006.jpg

Picture_008.jpg

Picture_009.jpg

I took the boat out on Sunday which was better than sitting at home in the dark thanks to a nasty storm that left me witohut power for 4 days.

I got the boat to keep running, an improvement over when I went to run with Wade and Steve but it still needs a lot more tweaking ot get a lot more out of it. The "Iceberg" went along also as that hasn't seen water since the Fun Run back in May. It's getting there also as I now can run that at a lot more than just idle speed but not WOT yet. The mod that I did on the Mac pipe really quieted it down. Whether or not it hurt the top end I'll have tp wait and see. The plan is to hit the pond again this Saturday.

Ron,

I have never been able to run a strut that long on a boat that small without hopping in the corners. let me know if the boat hops when you throw it into a corner at full speed.

Will do Professor! Right now I'm happy to get it to stay running. If I need to I'll pull the Old Reliable out of another boat just to get this one up to speed.

That might be a problem area also with the Nitro Super-Vee 27 that hasn't been thought about.

Back