Aeromarine rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I have two of these Aeromarine rudders for a long time and want to use them on a .40 size vee. Aeromarine must have discontinue these as I cannot find them on their website anymore. Has anyone used these before? There are two 6-32 size holes in the block. Are they meant to be bolted directly to the transom? The face of the block is 3/8" x 1.5". If I bolt it to the transom, the small area may crush the wood. Did they sell some kind of a bracket for this type of rudder so that I can position the rudder behind the prop?

Thanks, k

Attachments

• rudder.jpeg
    rudder.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Thanks Tyler for the explanation , so to mount the block you simply drill and tap for mount screws to go through the transom and your done, correct? The reason I ask is I bought a couple of these of IA a few years ago. Thanks Tim

Thanks Tyler. So they are meant to be bolted directly to the transom, I imagine it would work OK on a sport hydro (20 or 40) but on a mono, the rudder would end up in front of the strut.
The bigger concern I have is the small mounting area. The face is 3/8 x 1.5. It is too small to take the force of the rudder in a turn. Also, the wood may get crushed when tightening the two bolts.

k

Just use some alum flat stock between transom and rudder with clearance holes for bolts. Also lowest bolt should be for arm to connect to steering push rod. Center bolt should be replaced with nylon bolt or brass tubing, rudder needs to give if kicked up or you'll definitly tear out the transom.

Mine is mounted on a AM Sprint 21 and it's 25 years old with no issues. I don't have any backing plates, but did use a little silicone to reduce any chafing of the bracket into the transom. As others mentioned a simple backing plate from aluminum, G10 or carbon will do.

I know I can buy a Speed Master rudder but I want to use what I have. This is how I am going to mount the rudder. A good friend machined a bracket for me. The rudder will be bolted to the 3/8" piece, which in turn will be attached to the bracket. This would place the rudder just behind the prop and offset to the right by 2"

Attachments

• AM rudder.jpeg
    AM rudder.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back