Advice on Mono Hull - 6S (Q) Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi team,

I was looking for some advice on a mono hull, to run reasonably competitively in a 6S class (we call it Q here in Australia).

I originally wanted to build a Wild Thing with a kit from ML, however he's currently not sending kits to Aus as freight is all too hard at the moment. We don't have much out here in the size (people seem to mainly build larger gas boats from glass or carbon) so I'm happy to build from a plan.

I'm currently scratch building a small hydro but it's taking a lifetime, so wanted something more simple I could build up and race in the meantime.

Wondering what people would suggest?

Other options I've seen around are - A guy has a V-Box Zipp kit here in Aus for $250 if I wanted to go gas, and there's the option of importing a Delta hull for a few hundred.

Gday Mike a lot a boaters are using the Delta Force Hulls available From Tony in Melbourne..

Or contact Jerry in USA for his Seaducer Hulls..

I run a DF39" MkII hull for Q mono and it runs very competitively. I mostly race against Don Huff ORCA mono's which also run very well. I assume you have a 40" limit under your rules so most of the gas mono size hulls are out of the picture. You could also build a Rum Racing CalCraft although some work would be required to seal the opening.

Seaducer's are another good option.

Attachments

• DSC_4267.JPG
    DSC_4267.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC_4272.JPG
    DSC_4272.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Lehner 4140 pic 3.jpg
    Lehner 4140 pic 3.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 4
I run a DF39" MkII hull for Q mono and it runs very competitively. I mostly race against Don Huff ORCA mono's which also run very well. I assume you have a 40" limit under your rules so most of the gas mono size hulls are out of the picture. You could also build a Rum Racing CalCraft although some work would be required to seal the opening.

Seaducer's are another good option.
Is that an "outrunner" in the last photo?

Yes it is. A liquid cooled 10 pole outrunner. Sounds like a turbine. I can run larger props at slower speeds which increases efficiency and reduces heat.

Awesome! A benefit of the additional rotating mass?

Last edited:
Not that I have noticed. I am running a 1/8" wire drive from Brent with a 1/4" stub and step down to 3/16". So far this is holding up to the high torque this motor can produce. I was worried any sudden unloading and loading of the prop would snap the shaft.

It's happiest running around 25-30k loaded. I have a fan blowing on the end bell which is mounted in the former inrunner's rear support ring. What I also like is this motor runs much cooler at partial loads. It pushing about 7-9hp during a normal heat race when I am asking for 100%.

Is Tony making and shipping Delta Force hulls. I've been waiting for about 6+ months for Offshore Electrics to get some in.
He Not making but he does supply hulls,,
Amongst other items
Google hobbysupplies

Ps Steve offshore not shipping overseas

I've sent Hobby Supplies a message, to see if he's got a Delta Force or Seaducer hull in stock.

I see a lot of people reinforcing these hulls with fibreglass or carbon fibre matt. Is this important?

The Seadcuers are pretty strong from Jerry and I have not seen the need to reinforce. However the DF hulls are very light and could stand some additional reinforcement.

Back