A new nitro engine coming soon (some say I am mad for doing this!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well he chose a good engine size to work with. Since from what I'm hearing there are outlawing 20 and 30% nitro car fuel. 60% in a little motor like this will make it fly. The Zimmerman disc is a really good choice as well. Is that motor going to show up this year Hope so. Thanks for expanding the hobby

We made a 45 size Ti rod years ago with 1 mm rollers

full
Hi Terry, I found a few of your famous titanium/needle bearing rods a while back for a Rossi R65 marine engine. Need to install it. I'm amazed by the very minimal dimensions of these rods. I have to ask, have you ever experienced a structural failure ever ?

Hi Terry, I found a few of your famous titanium/needle bearing rods a while back for a Rossi R65 marine engine. Need to install it. I'm amazed by the very minimal dimensions of these rods. I have to ask, have you ever experienced a structural failure ever ?

I can't remember any actually coming apart but we did get some back that bent with hydraulic.

Today I'd make them I beam shaped and not worry as much about the weight...

I can't remember any actually coming apart but we did get some back that bent with hydraulic.

Today I'd make them I beam shaped and not worry as much about the weight...
exactly, I-beam shape would function just fine.

It amazes me that many popular engines models (1980's/1990's Picco P67 for example) came equipped with dropped forged rods? With bushing on bottom-end only?

Well he chose a good engine size to work with. Since from what I'm hearing there are outlawing 20 and 30% nitro car fuel. 60% in a little motor like this will make it fly. The Zimmerman disc is a really good choice as well. Is that motor going to show up this year Hope so. Thanks for expanding the hobby
Thanks, a lot of work has already been done and we hope to have some production engines available in the next 6-8 months

This is great news. I hope you will succeed in your ambitious plan:
-In Europe some nations have limeted sale, distribution and storage of high nitro content fuel. Some to a previous standard of 25% and now further down to 16% - in accordance with EU legislation to be enforced by member nations.
- Will your design address the challenge of only low nitro fuels commercially available ?
Or
- Will the design only cater for those few diehard racers that will apply for and be accepted to go beyond the law?

This is great news. I hope you will succeed in your ambitious plan:
-In Europe some nations have limeted sale, distribution and storage of high nitro content fuel. Some to a previous standard of 25% and now further down to 16% - in accordance with EU legislation to be enforced by member nations.
- Will your design address the challenge of only low nitro fuels commercially available ?
Or
- Will the design only cater for those few diehard racers that will apply for and be accepted to go beyond the law?

Thanks for your support.

Re Fuel composition - This is something that I have been looking at as I generally run tethered hydros and we use straight fuel with zero nitro, just 20% castor, and the rest is methanol so I have been discussing with Profi about different combustion chamber shapes and volumes depending on the application.

As far as I can ascertain, no manufacturer produces an engine designed to be used with nitro percentages as high as 60%. They often come shimmed for around 25% nitro and people will modify the combustion chamber volume for their specific needs.

We will test a few different combustion chamber shapes and volumes to see what works best with different fuels but it would be interesting to hear what people have done to adjust their commercially available engines to suit nitro contents around 60%, Can anyone share their combustion chamber volumes and/or squish clearances, it would give us a head start on development?

Once we have completed the testing we will be able to make recommendations for what combustion chamber to use and what volume/squish clearance we have found works best. This will give most users a starting point to adjust their engines from.

Look like A-90 Russia but sadly owner business passed away Same your Optima 21? Will be believe more powerful than CMB or NR

Attachments

• 8E3C4817-D689-4F3F-BC24-D4198BF63A54.jpeg
    8E3C4817-D689-4F3F-BC24-D4198BF63A54.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
In the 1990's Picco's came with 2 head buttons foe low or high nitro fuel. There has been a couple of posts on squish bands and volumes and bowls.

Brad
Thanks Brad - I think I may have an old Picco that comes with 2 head buttons. The community came forward and has given me plenty of information on combustion chambers so we have plenty to work from now.

Look like A-90 Russia but sadly owner business passed away Same your Optima 21? Will be believe more powerful than CMB or NR
Hi Allan,

Our project has nothing to do with anyone who was involved in the Averinov engines. Ours is completely fresh and stand-alone.

As for comparing power to the NR or the CMB engines in the same class, we hope to be competitive and even more powerful but from my experience, I have found that outright power figures are a bit misleading, depending on how they are used, some engines can be so peaky and temperamental that its practically impossible to get them to perform to their absolute best. I personally prefer engines that have accessible performance.

Time will tell I guess

Thanks for your support.

Re Fuel composition - This is something that I have been looking at as I generally run tethered hydros and we use straight fuel with zero nitro, just 20% castor, and the rest is methanol so I have been discussing with Profi about different combustion chamber shapes and volumes depending on the application.

As far as I can ascertain, no manufacturer produces an engine designed to be used with nitro percentages as high as 60%. They often come shimmed for around 25% nitro and people will modify the combustion chamber volume for their specific needs.

We will test a few different combustion chamber shapes and volumes to see what works best with different fuels but it would be interesting to hear what people have done to adjust their commercially available engines to suit nitro contents around 60%, Can anyone share their combustion chamber volumes and/or squish clearances, it would give us a head start on development?

Once we have completed the testing we will be able to make recommendations for what combustion chamber to use and what volume/squish clearance we have found works best. This will give most users a starting point to adjust their engines from.

What sort of head clearance & volume do you guys run for FAI fuel? What plug(s)?

Ten or more years ago the motors we ran (OPS, Picco, CMB) came with fairly low compression, usually around 8:1. They would be OK on 40% nitro but would hardly run on 60%+ unless you leaned the needle down a bunch, I think what was happening was the fuel was lighting too late and most of it was still burning well after TDC. Fuel cars for example fire at up to 65* BTDC: Top Fuel - Wikipedia

The manufacturer's started bumping up the C/R for us and I took it even further running 14:1 on my 45's - 90's and close to 15:1 on my 21's. Motors idle, transition much better and make way more top end power. You may not want to go 15:1 with your new motor but somewhere around 12:1 would be a good compromise for us.

Here's specs from an older CMB RS21 and new Beta.

A thread I did on head buttons a while back: On line head volume calculator.

Attachments

• 2006 CMB RS 21.xls
    29.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2019 CMB .21 Beta Evo.xls
    29.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks Terry, now you know why i have been so interested in your dyno project.

re needle roller rod bearings, we did look at it but it proved difficult if not impossible to fit this within a standard .21 bolt pattern. Then there are more issues related to the balance ratio with the rotating assembly. Im not saying it’s impossible but the amount of development required is just too much for our first engine.

As an alternative we are looking at DLC coatings to ensure crank service life as well as reduced friction
I wouldn’t worry about needle bottom ends at all on a .21. I have not seen needle bottom ends on a .21 CMB in many moons either. I’m not aware of the new CMB Beta .21 having them either. I have a bronze bushed rod in a Nova .46 that has raced now for 4 years and it’s not out of spec. Fast engine that I’ve ran hard at times. Jeff Lutz

Latest posts

Back