5 boat minimum to make a class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Foley

Supporting Member
Let's hear some opinions on a 5 boat minimum to make a class. Are we that pompous and self righteous that classes that are struggling and need competitors , particularly young people that we will just not let them compete ? The only way to build back is to allow these classes to run with fewer boats . What is the difference whether 5 run or 3 run.? Same time or less to run the heat
Model Boat racing is a hobby
Let's try to build it back not hold it back . Let's hear your thoughts on this .

Let's hear some opinions on a 5 boat minimum to make a class. Are we that pompous and self righteous that classes that are struggling and need competitors , particularly young people that we will just not let them compete ? The only way to build back is to allow these classes to run with fewer boats . What is the difference whether 5 run or 3 run.? Same time or less to run the heat
Let's try to build it back not hold it back . Let's hear your thoughts on this .
See my post in the race thread

I can totally see your point, Tom. For some of the smaller races it’s absolutely fine to have 3 boats to make a class and promote the hobby. At a larger event, such as our CAN-AM race up here in Canada, we can’t accommodate everyone and depending on the numbers, must abide with the 5 boat minimum to make the class. We do offer “Open” classes in an attempt to allow those who have a boat which doesn’t make the 5 boat minimum a class to race in.

Completely agree with you Tom........this IS a hobby and not a professional motorsport.......thru the years ive seen a number of people so obsessed with being the BEST that it actually became detrimental to the hobby as a whole.....while its fine to be competitive within reason, there needs to be a line drawn when it comes to getting new people involved, particularly in nitro which is not in a great state of health. There should always be some way to be made for someone to ENTER and RACE their boat if humanly possible. The last thing nitro needs is a clique mentality in the shape that it is in. 3 or 5 boats to make a class is such a negligible difference.

Five boat mandatory heats would pretty much end racing for most classes of nitro and a few gas classes as well throughout all IMPBA other than at the larger events.
Not sure what benefit that would be to the hobby or the organization as we are far to small a hobby already.
I do think it's fair to offer trophies to first place only in classes with less than five boats.
Could care less about trophies anyway!

Because the district 3 director prioritized HIGH POINTS series this year and next. Forcing the clubs to a set of rules if they wished to be a host of a district race.
Nitro and fe we basically eliminated by:
1. Making it 5 boats instead 3 to make a class.
2. They were also dropping classes short of 5 boats about 1 month prior to the actual race and then it opened spots for more gas boat.

Then added more gas classes.

Something had to give. There was about 33 classes. There was no way to have a 2 day race of 4 rounds.
Instead of asking and listening for feedback. 5% of the district voted and came up with a new way. No agenda. No meeting access, no minutes, no voice, Most didn’t know it was being done.

There is so much to say. It has been an unbelievable switch in district 3.

Gets elected by gas, fe and nitro guys only to wipe out many that voted for him.

Only 5% of membership gets to vote. “The board”
Half the board was appointed by the director
Half the board is club presidents many members in the district are not in a club
Private meetings
No open forum
Facebook page is not an open forum. They control who sees it. Who posts or what is posted. And even block some.
There isnt even a nitro director this year.

There is plenty more….

The vast majority of the effort has been HIGH POINT RACES.it does not cater to the majority.
Make sure before you vote for someone you know their plan.

Last edited:
Nitro has been struggling for decades now especially at the district level events and its unfortunate because had people accepted this and made positive changes to the nitro classes twenty plus years ago it may have turned a corner in the right direction.
I will always be a nitro guy and at this point in my life will build what I want for me and if there is no class offered I'll go to the club pond hang out with friends and run my nitro boats .

Nitro has been dropping in Florida. This year alone 4 old nitro guys showed interest in coming back but haven’t as there is basically no nitro.
The district could have had conversation and voted on a condensed field. Like combining 21 and 45 and combining 67 and X. That way no boats are eliminated.
Many of us have gas and nitro. The race this weekend 12 miles from my house only had classes for 2 of my 11 Boats.
The turn out to this weekend is well off the average of the first several this year. Time will tell.

Nitro has been dropping in Florida. This year alone 4 old nitro guys showed interest in coming back but haven’t as there is basically no nitro.
The district could have had conversation and voted on a condensed field. Like combining 21 and 45 and combining 67 and X. That way no boats are eliminated.
Many of us have gas and nitro. The race this weekend 12 miles from my house only had classes for 2 of my 11 Boats.
The turn out to this weekend is well off the average of the first several this year. Time will tell.
And that's the problem, old guys race nitro. Almost all new people in the hobby go directly to gas.

Completely agree with you Tom........this IS a hobby and not a professional motorsport.......thru the years ive seen a number of people so obsessed with being the BEST that it actually became detrimental to the hobby as a whole.....while its fine to be competitive within reason, there needs to be a line drawn when it comes to getting new people involved, particularly in nitro which is not in a great state of health. There should always be some way to be made for someone to ENTER and RACE their boat if humanly possible. The last thing nitro needs is a clique mentality in the shape that it is in. 3 or 5 boats to make a class is such a negligible difference.
Enter your B Mono and D mono or they may not run .

And that's the problem, old guys race nitro. Almost all new people in the hobby go directly to gas.
Right so the nitro guy can’t come back and build a gas? I did. And many of the nitro guys have.
And we are in September and not one nitro boat at a race So far. so how would a newer guy even know about them?

Right so the nitro guy can’t come back and build a gas? I did. And many of the nitro guys have.
And we are in September and not one nitro boat at a race So far. so how would a newer guy even know about them?
In my experience within our club new people are fully aware of nitro but are also aware of the stigma of how difficult it can be. Part of that is to blame on those that understand nitro and never stepped up to help those who were struggling .
As for building a gas boat to race, been there and gas just doesn't do it for me, I enjoy the challenges of Nitro.

I ran last June at a big fun 2day race. MANY of the people there said they have never seen a nitro run or even thought it was possible for a rc boat to go that fast. That was just one event, same district.
Gas was easier when they were slow. But they stall and blow up and die a Lot now that they are faster.
And if you think fast gas guys are helping newbies go fast you’re crazy. And yet gas is healthier then Nitro or fe. We as a scociety have far less skilled people who want to spend time doing this. This isnt a spend your way to fast, it is test your way to where You want to be.

Last edited:
In my experience within our club new people are fully aware of nitro but are also aware of the stigma of how difficult it can be. Part of that is to blame on those that understand nitro and never stepped up to help those who were struggling .
As for building a gas boat to race, been there and gas just doesn't do it for me, I enjoy the challenges of Nitro.
I never saw someone refuse to help a guy having problems with a boat . Quite the contrary from what I have seen in 37 years of racing . I think it has more to do with obtaining things like engines , pipes etc . much more expensive than gas and harder to find .

Enter your B Mono and D mono or they may not run .
Tom my awesome friend how often do you give your word to someone and then back out? I told Ron and Gregg that i wouldn't enter the race so i could try to help out at the race both days....i would much rather race....frankly it would be easier, but doing both is too much for me with my "issues".......im really sorry man but i do the best i can with what i got.

I never saw someone refuse to help a guy having problems with a boat . Quite the contrary from what I have seen in 37 years of racing . I think it has more to do with obtaining things like engines , pipes etc . much more expensive than gas and harder to find .
I've definitely seen it first hand at races over the years and experienced it personally when I started out.
Everything seemed to be top secret lol
But it had a positive effect on me because as I began to understand nitro better are was able to help others and that feeling is better than any race I've won.

Tom my awesome friend how often do you give your word to someone and then back out? I told Ron and Gregg that i wouldn't enter the race so i could try to help out at the race both days....i would much rather race....frankly it would be easier, but doing both is too much for me with my "issues".......im really sorry man but i do the best i can with what i got.
No problem buddy ! Just figured you might be getting race fever and I would gladly pit for you !!😁

Agree with this as well........near 600.00 for a stock .21 O.S. outboard, 2 to 5 THOUSAND for a twin........Whats the latest CMB ,45 IB going for? I could go on and on....... Nitro Outboard tunnel classes were HUGE here in Florida...what happened? How nice it would be to find what you need when you need it at a semi reasonable price! Living in a turn key, push button, i want it to work perfect right now society doesnt help matters either.
I just want to add that although i got into FE a short while ago that im not about to get out of nitro racing and will race nitro whenever i can.........win, lose, draw i still enjoy the daylights out of it and the people in it as well! Im sure that there are MANY,MANY others that feel the same way!

Last edited:
I raced Nitro for many, many years. Depending on the class you run, there is definitely a ton of challenges. Hull choice (buy or build your own) engine mods, props (huge performance advantage). Plugs, fuel, hull adjustment etc. etc. etc. You have to be a true craftsman/mechanic to compete at the highest level. Or, pay the price and kiss some butt. I played this game for a long time before seeking change.
Now, not so much. I've chosen the easy route and although I don't compete much because I refuse to spend half my paycheck on travel and accommodations. I run gas boats. SS mono, boat and hardware off the shelf. A $5 plug once a year and $30 worth of the most expensive fuel money can buy and a half dozen prop choices makes it easy for me. Funny thing is, I'm having more fun than ever and I have way more time on my hands for friends and family.
As for 3-5 boat minimums. With 3 you run the chance one doesn't show and you end up with a 2 boat heat. With five you have a class either way and a race worth running. And, 5 boats may cover the cost or trophies.

Back