40 Hellion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Britton

A 40 Hellion is just around the corner. Sprayed the plugs with tooling gelcoat today. I'll lay up the glass tomorrow and let the new molds cure for a few days. I should have a first boat pulled in a week or so

Does the shop look like I've been busy? It's a straight up mess! LOL

53468169_2563921660303670_3282851947685609472_o.jpg

53110823_2563921720303664_8609966117605081088_o.jpg

53008547_2563921783636991_7839740819140509696_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo Carl. So now it's known. I knew it would come up eventually so I thought it should be known now rather than later.

BUT,  I did it the legal way...

A while back I had "purchased" the privilege from the owner of the HTB 360-2 molds to layup a heavy part for the top and bottom deck so that I could mold it and call it my own. The only stipulation was that I make a change in the top deck and make my own cowling. I've been sitting on them for a while and finally decided to finish them.

With not a lot of 40 boats being made, I wanted to at least get another option for those who race them, but did not feel like investing a year or two in coming up with something from scratch. This seemed like the easiest, most time and cost effective way to accomplish this.

Just heading this off at the pass so no accusations get thrown around...

I’ve never seen one of the 360-2’s run, what was the story with them?

The center strake on the tunnel is interesting, it will be nice to have some more options on the market so people can get out there and get building!

R you going produces for the public or keep it for yourself thank you Mark

I’ve never seen one of the 360-2’s run, what was the story with them?

The center strake on the tunnel is interesting, it will be nice to have some more options on the market so people can get out there and get building!

This has got to be the most exciting news in fibreglass tunnels for years! If the 40 OB class was healthier here in Aus I would be all over one......

Great stuff Bill.

Bingo Carl. So now it's known. I knew it would come up eventually so I thought it should be known now rather than later.

BUT,  I did it the legal way...

A while back I had "purchased" the privilege from the owner of the HTB 360-2 molds to layup a heavy part for the top and bottom deck so that I could mold it and call it my own. The only stipulation was that I make a change in the top deck and make my own cowling. I've been sitting on them for a while and finally decided to finish them.

With not a lot of 40 boats being made, I wanted to at least get another option for those who race them, but did not feel like investing a year or two in coming up with something from scratch. This seemed like the easiest, most time and cost effective way to accomplish this.

Just heading this off at the pass so no accusations get thrown around...
nice work...happy to see the HTB type boat back on the market!

I was wondering how you got a 40 boat tested/developed to the point of molding so quick...would hate to have more rushed boats on the market lol

Was out to Bill's shop today and I am very impressed with the new molds. Should be a great looking proven performance hull. A boost for .45 tunnel fans.

Mic

Hi Bill

can you say me what for a gelcoat ist it?

Thanks mike
Not quite sure exactly what your asking but to give quick overview of what I'll use to build them it will be ISO gelcoat (white), vinylester resin, 4oz cloth and 3/4 oz mat glass, with carbon and coremat reinforcement in the critical areas of the top and bottom decks. Coremat will also be used in the cowl where the screws are drilled to attach to the deck to help prevent tear-out during blow overs etc....

Back