3d printing sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryder Ewaniuk

hey quick question can i 3d print sponsons on a rigger so i don't have to go through the process of mirroring them perfectly with weight and everything. maybe a mold for fiberglass of just a fiber glass layer on top of the 3d print to save the effort. thanks in advance

The current set seems to be holding up well. I need to run a little more against some stock competition to see if the design needs tweaking. The previous design was fast in the straight but slow in the turns.

Lohring Miller

I just finished printing mine over this past weekend.
The plan is to skin them with some fiberglass for added strength. You could go as simple as to brush on some epoxy resin or gelcoat and then sand them smooth.

I have had PLA prints deform their shape while in the trunk of my car on a hot day (keep that in mind)

Top view Capture.JPG

My latest design is finishing printing. I changed to a two angle bottom with a longer rear section. It looks almost like the JAE bottom. We'll see how this works.

Lohring Miller

i made a sorta replica stl of the jags hydro if someone would be kind enough to print it and give feed back that would be amazing

Attachments

• sponson back.stl
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
i see what you mean ive printed one of the sponson and will test it but well see
it was designed for 3ft long rigger

So I know nothing about this or how it works...

Will.it be printed in sections and then glassed together? are they printed standing on end like a box ??

same for the sponsons?

Back