3D printed strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Fantauzzi

My son replicated this strut for me on his 3D printer. It's some kind of nylon carbon mix. Seems pretty solid. Has anyone run one of these? Planning to try it on a 67 size Outrigger.
Opinions...suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200404_190843.jpg
    20200404_190843.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200404_190855.jpg
    20200404_190855.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 65
I am interested to see what happens I have one ready to go too. I am interested in how it holds up. How strong is it laterally? Are you nervous about trying it? With the cost of that filament I don't believe it is much cheaper? If at all...

I use Carbon-Nylon filament pretty frequently, it is amazing stuff once you get the settings correct.
I would not recommend just replacing the aluminum one with a composite without adjusting the design.
If the strut breaks the prop is going to chew up the rear of the rigger. Not worth it.

I had another thought. Install the aluminum one and get it dialed in FIRST.
Then make a printed one that has the same depth and angle but make it with a strut on both sides, at a 45* angle from vertical, like the full size boats use and try it

Well, I have an old banged up roadrunner that I plan to use in the test, if it fails it won't break my heart, and also gives me a reason to either refurbish the old girl or offer her to Gods of the lake. I plan to use aluminum brackets and not composite to reduce flex.

The test might, however, not be anytime soon; this roadrunner is a b**** to launch on my own, and with this covid19 crap, I have no one to help me. 😠

The problem with your strut is that you duplicated an aluminum one. Plastic, especially 3D printed plastic, doesn't have either the strength or stiffness of aluminum. You need to rethink the design of the strut and it's attachment for plastic. It will turn out to be much bulkier but might be lighter. Also it will be easy to tweek the design for different boat designs.

Lohring Miller

I made some low RPM gears, used 3 types of material and they all failed with in a day. I think making brackets and cowls would be ok to do but struts, rudders and turn fins won't make a lap on the course
1586282427660.png

I use Carbon-Nylon filament pretty frequently, it is amazing stuff once you get the settings correct.
I would not recommend just replacing the aluminum one with a composite without adjusting the design.
If the strut breaks the prop is going to chew up the rear of the rigger. Not worth it.
Tyler,

What printer are you using to print with NylonX? I've got a customer wanting to shift some of their details to 3D printed, but they need the strength that NylonX provides. I was thinking of buying a printer.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

It’s not a matter of if it will break. But sooner or later it will. What is the benefit vs risk.

It’s not a matter of if it will break. But sooner or later it will. What is the benefit vs risk.

Benefit is readily available components of anything your mind can imagine. However, you're right, when it comes to driveline parts it's probably all risk.
So, why bother? Just testing the limits of the DIY modern technology.

I don't race my boats...just boot around ponds/lakes in my area.

Have fun, stay safe.

Vince

Attachments

• 20200410_154941.jpg
    20200410_154941.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back