36" Cat going electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avbrando

Its time!!, nitro prices are insane, and cant stand to see my cat on the shelf, looking for electric options for a aeromarine cat conversion, want fast and runtime, boat will not be raced, looking for best budget motor /esc, but its gotta be fast.
can anyone help?

Spectrum Firma 160esc, TP 4070 motor and 8s lipo. That is what I run in my 36" Hydro's and they run real nice. Fast and runtime....now that is the magic fairytale that all us FE boaters have been chasing for years and still haven't achieved it.

Its time!!, nitro prices are insane, and cant stand to see my cat on the shelf, looking for electric options for a aeromarine cat conversion, want fast and runtime, boat will not be raced, looking for best budget motor /esc, but its gotta be fast.
can anyone help?

What is your definition of fast? 60 mph?
What sort of run time is ok for you?
Do you have a certain power level in mind 6s vs 8s for example?

Higher voltage and lower amperage is generally the best way to increase power and run time, however there is a penalty of increased battery weight as you go with higher voltage (assuming you keep the same mAh rating).

I am also a fan of the TP4070, but KV would be determined based on answers to the above.

would like to see 65+ and 7 min runtime, will go 8s if needed, thank you for the replies.
Brandon.

would like to see 65+ and 7 min runtime, will go 8s if needed, thank you for the replies.
Brandon.
That's not going to happen no matter how much money you throw at it. I have run that hull quite a bit in the 60-70mph range on 8S. (TP4060-1350kv) With 5000ma we get 3-4 laps. Adding battery to 10000ma would gain weight and loose speed, plus maybe get 2 minutes at speed. 50mph and 3-4 minutes is a more realistic target. With a 40X100mm motor and all that battery weight it is not an endurance setup even propping down or lowering Kv's.
On a side bar I see your from Baldwin. I used to rent shop space there from Wally Schefland in the 80's. He's probably gone by now. on Wisconsin!
Mic

Last edited:
i know little about high power marine setups , I'm just throwing out numbers, just looking to have some fun and willing to throw a little extra $ at it., thanks again.

i know little about high power marine setups , I'm just throwing out numbers, just looking to have some fun and willing to throw a little extra $ at it., thanks again.
Ok with that info you need to find an FE mentor in your area or do a lot of reading on the Offshore Electric forum. Then be careful and test everything slowly and methodically.
For a motor a 4060 or 4070 TP in the 900-1100kv range would easily power the hull on 8S.
Motors, TP Power Motors | Rc Boats by OffshoreElectrics
A .187 cable will survive but a 40X100mm (4070 TP name uses rotor length)
will stress a .187. A 1/4 (.250) with a 3/16 step down to the prop will allow more variety of props. You can adapt a 1/4 prop to a 3/16 shaft easily rather than bore out a 3/16 prop.

ESC do some reading
Has a worthy ESC been born? The Castle XLX2 looks to be an excellent ESC. (offshoreelectrics.com)
this and about 100 more threads.
ESC: Speed Controls | Rc Boats by OffshoreElectrics

Offshore has a wealth of info and some good off the shelf hardware. Add it up and see if the prices fit your budget. You can go 50-60mph with reasonable run times. With FE we look at making 6 laps plus a mill lap without overheating things. Thats the downside of FE but the performance you will get will learn to live with shorter runs. For a couple straightaway blasts you can prop up and gain big MPH but takes a lot of battery quickly plus easily overheats every thing.
Start out conservative and ask questions along the way.
Mic

Back