3/16 flex in 1/8 th Scale boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.67 motor ?

I've run .67 motors in mono's with 3/16" cables for years... I've also seen plenty of scales run with them too. Keep the gap between the collet and the stuffing tube close, 1/4" or so and you should be fine.

I run full length tube thru the strut and a good sleeve bushing on the shaft. Waterproof grease with no oiler. Never had cable issues..

My boat has had a 3/16 cable in it for 20 years. Keep it lubed and you should be good to go. Are you running a square or round collet? I run a slightly loose square drive at the engine and a ferrule at the strut to connect the stub shaft. Never have to worry about losing a prop that way and, at the same time, you don't need as much of a gap, mine runs maybe 1/8" total in front and behind the strut

Ron.. if you remember Dist 4 scale in 1999.. Dave Preusse was ON FIRE with the Tosti.. I remember it won every race I watched it run.. 3/16 drive...

Grim

Contrary to popular myth it requires absolutely no more power to spin a 1/4" cable than a 3/16". If you have a scale that is on the lighter side and looser running you may be just fine with a 3/16" cable. If your scale is heavier and/or you are trying to push a bigger prop 3/16" is a roll the dice and take your chances scenario. Back when we ran the K&Bs, OS etc we were ok with 3/16" When the Picco EXRs and then the better CMBs came along we had more power and began to see the cable failures. Also there is less cable whip (which creates parasitic drag) with the larger 1/4" cable (Ed Hughey did a real interesting study on cable sizing and parasitic drag years ago). 1/4" with step down to 3/16" stub shaft is basically bulletproof in an 1/8 scale.

3/16 and bring the heat z man.. most cable failures are due to lack of lubrication. not size. make sure it has a cable luber and not grease and let it ZING!

Back