2021 NAMBA Nationals 50th Anniversary

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
27 G LTD Monos........Holy Sh.tballs........Thats a lot of boats. Oh yeah, i am going to run too. Add one more. 28
Mike

Nationals Update!

The NAMBA Nationals Committee has decided to extend our entry deadline from June 30th to July 31st.

As of today, we have 91 entries and 557 boats already entered for our 50th NAMBA Nationals.

I know there are members waiting to sign up, do not wait!

This Nationals will be at Legg Lake with 600 plus boats and one of the best raffles and after-hour events ever!

I look forward to seeing you all at Legg Lake!

Sent my entry in yesterday. I attended the first one. Wonder if anyone else who attended the first NAMBA Nats is planning to attend the 50th? Steve Muck is the only one I can think of, but there might be more.
JD

Another hundred boats or so and this will be the second highest boat count race ever held. Both at the same pond. Both of them special occasions. The 25th was crazy. Over 1000+ boat entered in that one. Lots of big named old guys came out for that. Sadly a lot of them are no longer with us. It is going to be great to see everyone that shows up this year (except Jerry). I see him all the time. Just kidding JD LOL, I cant wait.

BTW Dist 8 does not mind giving up second place for highest boat count

I'm another old guy who will be there. I am a relatively new boater, though, My first Nationals was in 1998.

Lohring Miller

I may have missed a person or two and some more entries came in over the weekend but District 19 model boater Chuck McGaughy has entered the Nationals. He attended the first one in 1972 at Legg Lake.

And as much as it was close to 1000 boats in 1995, it was 982 boats officially entered. Might as well say 1000 when it is that close.

And what I find interesting is that there will be a few people at the Nats who have been a continous NAMBA member since its inception in 1971.

Al Waters

Wow over 100 racers and still 21/2 months to go and almost 700 boats entered.

2021 NAMBA Nationals 50th Anniversary

The 50th NAMBA Nationals is a celebration as much as it is a competition. We will celebrate our history and the people who gave their time and efforts to create this organization; an organization that has grown and adapted to changes over the past 50 years.

Previous NAMBA Nationals have welcomed model boat racers from many countries around the world. Hopefully, we have gained as much learning from them as we have offered in return.
The 50th NAMBA Nationals is a national race and national NAMBA rules will be in effect. You can refer to the NAMBA Rule Book at NAMBA.com.

Please enter early. The entry cutoff date is June 30, 2021, with an incentive for early entry. If you enter before May 1, 2021, you will receive two free tickets for a special raffle of a Ready-To-Run gas boat!

We understand that some may be hesitant to enter too early, as they are unsure if they will be able to attend until later for various reasons. To help alleviate that concern we will be offering full refunds for anyone wanting to cancel their entry up through July 31, 2021.

Controlled open water will be available on Thursday, September 16th starting at 12 pm thru 5 pm and continuing Friday, September 17th from 8 am through 5 pm. Time permitting, non-controlled open water will be available at the end of each race day for only the classes that run the following day.

No one will be allowed to bring in trailers or set up pits prior to 8:00 am on Thursday. Please do not arrive early to get in line, as that will only block the race site entrance. This will not be a first there, first choice of pit areas. You will be directed to an area for your trailer and pits.

Only event staff and commercial trailers will be allowed in the drivers? stand area. All others will be assigned a spot depending on trailer size. There is a place on the entry form where we are asking for information on your trailer, please make sure to fill it in for us to help with this planning. There will be an overnight security guard every night during the event. Please remember, overnight camping is not allowed inside the Park.

There will be four separate evening social events during the race a Welcome Party, Paddleboat Party, President's Dinner, and the Awards Banquet/Dinner. Be certain to list how many people will attend each event - even those events with no charge, as this will help us ensure we have enough food for all that plan to attend. Remember you get one banquet ticket with your event entry, so only additional banquet tickets will need to be purchased with your entry. Event tickets will be included in your driver's packet for the people and events you requested, these tickets will be necessary to attend the social events (no ticket - no entry)

Come join us in this celebration. We look forward to seeing you at the races and at our social events.

For additional information and updates, follow us on Facebook at NAMBA50Nats or visit our website www.namba50nats.com. From the Shop page on the website, you can enter online and pre-purchase additional merchandise (hats, jackets, etc.).

Miscellaneous Information:
1) The milling pattern will be a combination of a half course and full course mill, as described in Section 13 / Rule B.5 and Section 18 / Rule B.2
2) All classes will need 5 boats to qualify to run, as noted in Section 6 / Rule A.9
3) All hulls must conform to NAMBA Rule Specifications (i.e., Crackerbox, Classic Thunderboat, and Sport Hydroplane).
4) For the G-Ltd, Classic Thunderboat, and all nitro Stock OPC Tunnel classes:
a. All entrants will have their engines tagged before their first heat of the day. If an engine needs to be replaced during the day, it is the driver?s responsibility to have the new engine inspected and tagged. Validation that the tag is present may occur throughout the event. If the tag is missing during a heat the boat will be disqualified from that heat resulting in zero points.
b. The top 5 boats will be impounded after the conclusion of that class for possible engines inspected at the end of the day. The top three finishers in each class will have their engines torn down, as noted in Section 6 / Rule D.3.
5) For classes running a G-Ltd or G-1 engine:
a. Engine stroke will be checked before their first heat of the day, as described in Section 16 / Rule G.1.a.
6) For electric classes:
a. Battery cell count and voltage will be checked before every heat for all classes.
b. P-Ltd classes motor size verified.
7) Additional safety requirements:
a. All pit areas must have a fire extinguisher that is easily accessible for use.
b. All FE Lipo batteries must be removed from hulls while charging, and not charged in a trailer. They should also be charged on a separate table/area.

GAS Team Marathon

Boats will be limited to G-1 Mono's. Entries limited to the first 6 entries. Enter fee on the first page.
A team consists of four people - two drivers and two pit people.
Paddleboat Racing has become a tradition at the NAMBA Nationals.
Racing will include the Gary Johnson Sportsman's Class and a Modified Class.
The rules for each are given below:

GARY JOHNSON SPORTSMAN'S CLASS:
Only those boats purchased at the present or past NAMBA Nationals are legal.
These paddleboats may not be modified in any way.
Construction Guideline for these boats:
1. Boats must be constructed from solid wood or plywood. No balsa or light ply pleases.

2. The paddle will be constructed of wood and no more than four blades. All blades shall be no thicker than 3/32 inch, no longer than 2 ? inches, and not wider than 2 inches. No blade cupping or modifications please.
3. The boat hull should be approximately 15 inches long, ? inches thick and 6 inches wide.
4. The propulsion system will be a rubber band or bands, stretched across the transom between two screws or bolts and needs to be perpendicular to the boat?s riding surface.
5. Placing the current NAMBA logo on the deck of the hull is recommended as the paddleboat then becomes a nice National souvenir.

MODIFIED CLASS:
The shape may be of any design. Hull must be at least 15 inches long.
The width and paddle size are open. Construction materials are open.
All boats must be propelled by paddles. No prop-driven boats are permitted.

GENERAL RACING RULES:
NAMBA Nationals paddleboats may be decorated to add interest and individuality. Such decorations may include team names, colors, logos, or NAMBA number for easy identification.
No slippery stuff will be allowed on the rubber bands or boat's bottom. The host hotel has been gracious enough to allow the use of their pool and we do not want to pollute the water for the other guests.
The number of boats in a heat will be determined by the Contest Director with lake or pool size in mind.
First, one to cross or hit the finish line will be the winner. Double elimination style racing is recommended.
Trophies will be awarded based on the number of entrants.

2021 NAMBA Nationals Classes Offered:

Saturday, September 18th

A MONO
P SPORT HYDRO
A HYDRO
G-LTD MONO
P-LTD MONO
GX-2 CRACKERBOX

Sunday, September 19th

A STOCK OPC TUNNEL
P-LTD SPORT HYDRO
G-1 OUTRIGGER
SPORT 40-2
JERSEY SKIFF
KIDS-R-BOATERS
*Evening activity = Welcome Party

Monday, September 20th

B STOCK OPC TUNNEL
B HYDRO
P-LTD OPC TUNNEL
G-1 MONO
P MONO
C MONO

Tuesday, September 21st

GAS OUTBOARD TUNNEL
P CATAMARAN
C HYDRO
GX-2 CATAMARAN
P-LTD HYDRO
*Evening activity = Pattleboat Party

Wednesday, September 22nd

A MOD OPC TUNNEL
GX-2 MONO
P-LTD CATAMARAN
G-1 CATAMARAN
MULTI ENGINE NITRO
TEAM MARATHON GAS

Thursday, September 23rd

G-LTD CATAMARAN
X MONO
GX-2 SPORT HYDRO
B MOD OPC TUNNEL
Q MONO
*Evening activity = President's Dinner

Friday, September 24th

B MONO
X HYDRO
GX-2 OUTRIGGER
Q SPORT HYDRO
G-1 SPORT HYDRO
GX-TWIN OUTRIGGER

Saturday, September 25th

GAS SCALE UNLIMITED
ELECTRIC 1/8 SCALE UNLIMITED
CLASSIC THUNDERBOAT
NITRO SCALE UNLIMITED
*Evening activity = Banquet

I may have missed a person or two and some more entries came in over the weekend but District 19 model boater Chuck McGaughy has entered the Nationals. He attended the first one in 1972 at Legg Lake.

And as much as it was close to 1000 boats in 1995, it was 982 boats officially entered. Might as well say 1000 when it is that close.

And what I find interesting is that there will be a few people at the Nats who have been a continous NAMBA member since its inception in 1971.

Al Waters
I am one of the few

We have 750 boats entered with 3 days left to enter!
Remember the deadline to enter is midnight July 31st.
See you at Legg Lake!

CLASS UPDATE...
Due to the increased interest in Team Marathon, we have decided to increase the number of available entries for it to 12, so we'll have 2 heats of up to 6 teams each.
The 3 teams that were on the stand-by list have been updated to show as true entries, so that leaves 3 additional openings available. If you're interested in entering please go out to the website and sign-up.
https://namba50nats.com/shop/ols/products/gas-team-marathon

It looks like the Canadian border will be closed until the middle of the Nationals, September 21. Any news from California about holding the event?

Lohring Miller

As far as I know it’s “Full Steam Ahead “go go go! Looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends and maybe a few new ones!

Sad to say that the Canadian NAMBA members can not attend because of the closed border. They will be especially missed at the 2021 NAMBA Nats.

Everything is coming together well and this will be a special event.

We are just looking for retrieve boat operators and putting out the word if you know of someone who wants to help.

Al Hobbs

Back