2.4ghz rx info on antenna lead ??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek owen

I would be keen to hear a little on the antenna lead and the effects please, I believe its the exposed part that actually governs the range and is a calculated length. If this is the case what is the advantage of fitting a longer antenna lead to the rx ? for example the longer futaba lead?? trying to get my head around this thanks for any info !!

Hi Derek,

The longer antenna allow more distance between the boat bits and the water.. in this your best chance of reception.

Grim

yep... its that simple.. when it is more important?.. when you are using a NON-DIVERISY RX.. at that point you ONY have that one antenna so longer is MORE GOODER!.. (my wife hates when I say that.. but she is watching TV so we are safe! LOL

I use the 400mm antenna .. its the easy button!

Grim

From way back in my old CB radio days; we had 1/4-wave, 5/8-wave, 3/4 wave, etc. lengths. Seeing a wavelength has an actual measurement and we couldn't drive around with a 3/4 wave antenna hanging off our bumpers, it would be around 324 inches long they coiled up the antenna in the base or half-way up the mast. Top-load coils were a rarity because of the weight. On these 2.4 Gig Rx antennas we can put the coil way at the top, you have the same length condensed. This is way you don't want to bend or break that part.

When changing to a longer antenna the system need to be recalibrated

It does not. Nothing like FM wire where the whole thing is the antenna. The stripped out end is the same on both which is the antenna. The wire length is fine either way same tune.

Longer antenna is a waste of time for 95% of installations. Put the receiver right under the lid on Velcro and straight up the tube. The coax is very fragile and you don't want it any longer than you need. Best with it all gpoing up the antenna tube and you almost never need a longer one to get above the boat when you do.

2.4 is technically considered to be a line of sight” signal, water does cause problems for 2.4 but now with the transition to diversity antennas on the receiver that issue has been minimized.
I like the antenna to be 2” higher than the metal or carbon to be on the safe side.

Hmm...that's something to think about John. Knock on wood we haven't had an issue with our carbon tubs, but we just tape the antenna to the underside of the radio box lid. We use G10 for our lids, and our 2 light gas outriggers were carbon/foam core sides.

Hmm...that's something to think about John. Knock on wood we haven't had an issue with our carbon tubs, but we just tape the antenna to the underside of the radio box lid. We use G10 for our lids, and our 2 light gas outriggers were carbon/foam core sides.
The G10 lid is saving you. Jim Drew of XPS did extensive testing with 2.4 and carbon glider fuselages, the antennas need to be outside the carbon

Right on John. I wanted to make sure that that was communicated asap to all of those who have updated to the 400mm unit as well looking to update. Grim

Back