.18 recommendation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Villeneuve

Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a JAE18 kit at a local hobby store with the hardware kit. I'd like to know some engine recommendation. Don't want super expensive and I don't need the most powerfull unit.
I need to know where and how to get the collet for said engine. I've seen people put aircooled buggy engine but how does that work for the collet?

Thank you

I have a JAE 12 with an OS 18TZ fitted with a rotary carb that runs pretty good the handful of times it has been on the water. That size was very popular with the Traxxas nitro cars and many companies like OS make drop in motors with the small crankcase of the .12 engines. Ron Shaw also has a 3.5cc 3 port marine engine for $195 with flywheel and rotary carb. That's pretty hard to beat for value.

Nova 3.5cc 3 port

I have a JAE 12 with an OS 18TZ fitted with a rotary carb that runs pretty good the handful of times it has been on the water. That size was very popular with the Traxxas nitro cars and many companies like OS make drop in motors with the small crankcase of the .12 engines. Ron Shaw also has a 3.5cc 3 port marine engine for $195 with flywheel and rotary carb. That's pretty hard to beat for value.

Nova 3.5cc 3 port
I'm actually looking at the exact one and the model right above for my sport 20, how does it compare to let's say what I have now which is an older OS Max RG and a let's say a CMB?

May be you can try GO .20 marine engine. It's a big block .12 case rear exhaust, twin needle rotary carburetor and 5mm thread crankshaft. I have 2 brand new engines want to sell for $85 each and also have matching flywheel of $9 each. I can post pics if you interested.
Thanks, Patrick

I'm strongly thinking of switching to NR, my OS just doesnt keep up.
Nobody runs NR in my local club so it's hard to know what to expect. But I think I'll give it a shot

I built a lot of .12 powered boats. They're basically the same blocks as .18's using the same hardware. It's how the cranks are done as I had to use various flywheels on them. O.S. Engines had a 1-D flywheel that I used a lot made from steel. Pro Boat used one made from brass. There are fully threaded cranks and those with the SG shaft. The O. S. "truck" engine was a better choice for boats.

May be you can try GO .20 marine engine. It's a big block .12 case rear exhaust, twin needle rotary carburetor and 5mm thread crankshaft. I have 2 brand new engines want to sell for $85 each and also have matching flywheel of $9 each. I can post pics if you interested.
Thanks, Patrick
I messaged you.

Back