1/8TH Scale IMPBA 8s or 10s ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At Evansville this fall the 4 entries were all 8s, 850kv motor, 57mm max prop and we ran 5 laps. These are basically the rules they use out west. We have used the same setups at our races in Madison, In this past year (6 races there).

I Hope to have one for 2023. Another Miss Madison if all works out. Probably be 2024 though.
Ron needs someone to race.

OK 8S sounds good thats 2 4S battery, so is there a preferred charger that will do the job charging 2 4S battery?
Just thinking ahead

I am planning on running electric 8th scale for the 2023 races. 8 cell sounds fine to me. Just want to run at all the tracks

At Evansville this fall the 4 entries were all 8s, 850kv motor, 57mm max prop and we ran 5 laps. These are basically the rules they use out west. We have used the same setups at our races in Madison, In this past year (6 races there).
We’ve been running FE 1/8th Scales here in Texas under the NAMBA rules for the past couple years, and we race six full laps with no problems at all.

In D4, when clubs define 8S in their race registration, there isn’t any sense registering or showing up with 10S. 10S will not be racing against 8S.

In D4, there will be 8S Racing in 1/8th Scale. If enough interest in 10S 1/8th Scales - (3 or more boats) I think clubs would add a 10S Scale Class.
Love to have a separate scale class for 8S AND one for 10S.

Tom,

For 2023 it is. The racers in D4 building 1/8 Scales (about 7 or 8 boats) wanted to match what D14 is doing - since D4/D14 racers compete at a number of events each year and wanted the D14 and D4 boats "compatible" for a better word.

The scale registration form on the IMPBA website defines what we are looking for in D4 for 2023.

Here is link to IMPBA D4 Scale Registration Form:

D4 2023 SCALE REGISTRATION

I'm real familiar with the rulebook. Here is what the IMPBA website has for Scale FE

E. Scale FE Unlimited Hydro
1. General Records and racing for this single class will span the S/T voltage specification with the purpose to realistically duplicate the Unlimited style of Hydroplanes.
2. Registration Procedures a. All boats must be registered with the District 1/8 scale Chairman. b. The District Chairman will require the following information in writing: I. Name, address and phone number. II. IMPBA number. III. Unlimited name, year raced, and number. IV. Length and beam of prototype boat and model. V. Prototype designer and boat colors. VI. Must submit a photo of prototype boat. VII. $5.00 initial registration fee and a $3.00 annual renewal fee due by March 1. The registrant will receive a District Chairman approved form verifying current registration. Approved form must be brought to all contests. Purpose of fee-monies will be used for high point district trophy, postage, printing costs, and other expenses incurred. c. Boat must compete at a racing event within one year from registration.

4. Motor, Boat and Battery Specifications
a. All boats to be modeled after Unlimited hydroplanes from past or present.
b. All boats to be built to a scale of 1- 1/2" to 1'0" (1/8 scale) plus or minus 10% of the beam and 5% of the length
c. Boats will look as scale as possible and meet the following requirements for racing and scale judging: I. Cockpit with driver. II. Complete all major lettering and paint schemes. III. Effort must be made to conceal the motor with fake engine or cowling as per prototype boats.
d. Hull bottom and running hardware will not be judged or checked. However, hull must not deviate from conventional 3-point hydro (unless prototype was a different design). I. Hull bottom must be scale appearing. II. Belly pants are acceptable to clear motor. III. Secondary front sponson running surfaces are optional. IV. Air traps are optional.
e. Only one brushed motor of any type or one brushless motor from the following types, Lehner 22xx series, Neu 15xx series and Plett 370. Any other brushless motor is subject to technical approval.
f. Boat shall use same number of propellers as the prototype.
g. The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype boat did so.
h. No twin rudder assemblies allowed.
i. Boats should have the ability to change frequency
5. Racing Rules
a. Normal IMPBA driving rules will be followed.
b. Only the registered owner may race his unlimited.
c. All boats shall run 3 qualification heats. There shall be no more than 6 boats in a heat.
d. At the conclusion of the qualification heats, the top 5 boats, based on point total, shall go into the final.
e. To get the 6th boat for the final, the next 6 boats, based on qualification heat points, shall compete in a consolation race with the winner going into the final. In the event that the boats that have a tie are in 5th place, both boats go into the final and the final field of 6 boats is established.
f. At the International Regattas only, due to US1 status, Scale boat racing will revert to US1 standard heat racing rules.
g. Heat races will be 6 laps in length and will follow standard IMPBA starting procedures. The last boat running rule may be used, except at the International Regatta

Back