1/8TH Scale IMPBA 8s or 10s ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the motors and Speed controller combos that are allowed. I was going to rebuild my miller boat. I had set it up when I was in Tx.
The motor I was told I could use the Leopard 4092.
The Speed controller was the 2TW Seal 200A 8S.
I was using two 5000 MAH 4S in series.

Excluding record trials you can run the following motors per the 1/8 scale FE notice here: IMPBA 1/8 scale FE Motors

TP4070
HET 700-98
Turnigy 3994
Leopard 4092

KV is open for all motors and will depend on cell count and props you want to run.

You can also run a Neu 15xx, LMT 22xx or a Plettenberg 370.

I would strongly recommend the Castle XLX2 Hydra or the soon to be released Castle X8S Hydra if you plan on limiting your cell count to 8. Both of those controllers are limited to 8S max.

8S 5000mAh is barely enough to get through a race. Be cautious when you first test and run 3-4 laps max and check battery temps and voltage. You may find you need 6000-7000mAh to comfortably finish a heat race with mill.

Ok I have a question or two about all this. I’m also building an elec 1/8th scale. No one around me really runs 1/8th scale with any power source. I’m just getting gas scale going but nothing in 1/8th yet.

My first question is this, will an 8s scale boat run with a Nitro scale? I know a 10s will but I’m curious about an 8s boat running 6 laps (large course) with nitro boats.

My next question is when you’re combining both elec and nitro boats in scale, how do you handle the starts?

Thanks

Starts are usually handle the same way as nitro. You just launch later. Most dont run combined classes.
Mike

Ok I have a question or two about all this. I’m also building an elec 1/8th scale. No one around me really runs 1/8th scale with any power source. I’m just getting gas scale going but nothing in 1/8th yet.

My first question is this, will an 8s scale boat run with a Nitro scale? I know a 10s will but I’m curious about an 8s boat running 6 laps (large course) with nitro boats.

My next question is when you’re combining both elec and nitro boats in scale, how do you handle the starts?

Thanks
Chris, talk to Doug Smock on the battery questions.
We combine quit a few nitro/FE classes ( with prop limitations for FE) in D13 Grand Prix series and have been having fun with it.
As far as the launch/mill. Nitro goes out as normal, FE launches at 30 seconds for 1 mill lap to the start.
If you need contact for Doug let me know.

Starts are usually handle the same way as nitro. You just launch later. Most dont run combined classes.
Mike
Yea, I realize that it’s not ideal but we have never had a strong scale presence in this area so we are doing what we can to attract as many scale boats as possible. When the numbers increase we can then separate everyone accordingly.

Chris, talk to Doug Smock on the battery questions.
We combine quit a few nitro/FE classes ( with prop limitations for FE) in D13 Grand Prix series and have been having fun with it.
As far as the launch/mill. Nitro goes
out as normal, FE launches at 30 seconds for 1 mill lap to the start.
If you need contact for Doug let me know.
Rick do you know if they are letting any battery set ups run, 8s and 10s and just restricting them all with the prop or?????

Excluding record trials you can run the following motors per the 1/8 scale FE notice here: IMPBA 1/8 scale FE Motors

TP4070
HET 700-98
Turnigy 3994
Leopard 4092

KV is open for all motors and will depend on cell count and props you want to run.

You can also run a Neu 15xx, LMT 22xx or a Plettenberg 370.

I would strongly recommend the Castle XLX2 Hydra or the soon to be released Castle X8S Hydra if you plan on limiting your cell count to 8. Both of those controllers are limited to 8S max.

8S 5000mAh is barely enough to get through a race. Be cautious when you first test and run 3-4 laps max and check battery temps and voltage. You may find you need 6000-7000mAh to comfortably finish a heat race with mill.

This is good information and I appreciate the post. This information is for IMPBA. Namba rules took a different approach, and the motors were specified by size and the maximum KV with a tolerance. I am a retailer and have an online presence at all rc1.com. I have come to have a pretty large following and I have a race package that is used in many areas of the US some in Canada and Australia. The Turnigy 3994 motor that is listed in the Motor rules above is really no longer available. At least I haven’t seen one available in the last couple of years. The go to motors in Namba are the SSS 4092–850 KV and the TP 4060–860KV. I agree the Castle HYDRA to 8S is a great speed control. In my test they have run flawlessly, but they cost a little bit more money. They do allow data logging. For a good 8S ESC that doesn’t break the bank you can go to the ZTW 200 8S as listed above or the ZTW 150 HV which is going to 5 to 14 S.. The Hobbywing 130HV. is also a good choice. Don’t let the lower number fool ya. It works well. The listed ESCs are waterproof.

This response isn’t meant for debate, just to provide information for an informed decision.

This is good information and I appreciate the post. This information is for IMPBA. Namba rules took a different approach, and the motors were specified by size and the maximum KV with a tolerance. I am a retailer and have an online presence at all rc1.com. I have come to have a pretty large following and I have a race package that is used in many areas of the US some in Canada and Australia. The Turnigy 3994 motor that is listed in the Motor rules above is really no longer available. At least I haven’t seen one available in the last couple of years. The go to motors in Namba are the SSS 4092–850 KV and the TP 4060–860KV. I agree the Castle HYDRA to 8S is a great speed control. In my test they have run flawlessly, but they cost a little bit more money. They do allow data logging. For a good 8S ESC that doesn’t break the bank you can go to the ZTW 200 8S as listed above or the ZTW 150 HV which is going to 5 to 14 S.. The Hobbywing 130HV. is also a good choice. Don’t let the lower number fool ya. It works well. The listed ESCs are waterproof.

This response isn’t meant for debate, just to provide information for an informed decision.
what about flier ESC's?

Thanks
Chris,

I ran my 10s scale for one or two years in the nitro scale class and limited my prop size to make it fair. I was winning all the races so they wrote me out of the scale class saying electric boats were too fast. Funny thing is, my electric boat was only running 62 mph. My nitro scale was running 65 mph. All a matter of perception I guess. Later I converted my boat to 8s and now with the same prop and a more kv motor it runs 64 mph. I really believe the 8s setup is the way to go because of weight and battery size but elimination of 10 s is really not necessary.

Back