1/8 Winston Lobster

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my PT Winston Eagle. Been running it for years. Took some time to figure out just the right set up but it go's like stink now. Just need to finish the paint on my 91'  Winston Eagle and I'll be good to go.

Actually accomplished some work over the weekend

Machined  a locator pin bracket for the cowl nose block, also fit air scope and epoxied it to the cowl and fit the cowl too the hull tub.(more minor tweeting required)

Next have to come up with rear cowl latches, Turbine tube and a rear tube wing strut mount. plus TON more small parts.

SO MUCH FUN !!!!  :D PLUS IT KEEP'S ME OUT OF THE PUB :lol:

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

Hey Tom, looking good. I noticed that you mounted a j hook turn fin, will your mount also be able to use a straight turn fin if needed?  I have a lot of experience with running a gyro/servo and servo only set up on the canard.  We tried different gyros ect...mixing when the rudder turns right the canard goes neutral ect... but found that we couldn’t slow down the gyros enough and they are just to reactive. Some of our boats we removed servo all together and fixed the linkage and canard to a position where the boat handled the best, depending on how the wind is blowing..  anyways can’t wait to see this boat done.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike.M

Hey Tom, looking good. I noticed that you mounted a j hook turn fin, will your mount also be able to use a straight turn fin if needed?  I have a lot of experience with running a gyro/servo and servo only set up on the canard.  We tried different gyros ect...mixing when the rudder turns right the canard goes neutral ect... but found that we couldn’t slow down the gyros enough and they are just to reactive. Some of our boats we removed servo all together and fixed the linkage and canard to a position where the boat handled the best, depending on how the wind is blowing..  anyways can’t wait to see this boat done.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike.M
After talking with several really expert NW racers gurus  that made more then a valiant effort with gyros  I'v Opted to go strictly manual on the canard adjustment THE KISS method ;)

As far as the turn fin That's what Phi Thomas recommended but my Fin bracket has multiple holes to allow movement  aft and up/down and tilt  in & out

So just about any fin design will work. When I start tuning the hulls drive-ability  I'm sure there will be several fin designs developed

Ur 1/6 gas U-31  hull looking good  I also building a 1/6 Lobster but its completion is a ways off hopefully Late summer to early fall

Last edited by a moderator:
So after dealing with an unusually large snow fall for Western Wa ( 3ft on the roof) able to get back to the build installed the Savox mini throttle an 3rd channel needle servos and linkage in the radio box.  Due to its size and limited space in the box the Savox steering servo it had to be mounted out side the box so I went to a Waterproof Savox  also made a pipe support bracket. Waiting for some 1/4 carbon fiber tube to show up for the steering linkage. More to follow someday. :rolleyes: LOL

IMG_1719.JPGIMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you was going to mount the steering servo outside the radio box, why didn’t you just move it further back? Weight or is something in the way?

If you was going to mount the steering servo outside the radio box, why didn’t you just move it further back? Weight or is something in the way?
trying to maintain the CG as close the the back of the sponsons as possible I really HATE adding lead to balance a hull

I’m using the same servo in my FE Smokin Joe’s, but I wasn’t sure I trusted it being submerged and in your case exposed to nitro so I made a little box for it. The end of a servo extension lead is sealed inside the box so the servo can still be swapped out.IMG_4696.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the 1210's in all of my boats and cars, they are exceptional servos. Never once had a problem with them. In fact, I keep an eye on ebay and if one is going for a good deal, I snap it up just to have for whatever build I might have coming up next.

I’m using the same servo in my FE Smokin Joe’s, but I wasn’t sure I trusted it being submerged and in your case exposed to nitro so I made a little box for it. The end of a servo extension lead is sealed inside the box so the servo can still be swapped out.View attachment 99665

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have used these on a several of my 1/8 scale 4wd scale truck's full submerged water , mud , sand ECT for extended period of time and no issues

Well after not being able to get out in the machine shop for 6 weeks due to 4 ft of snow sliding of the shop roof and blocked the door. I was able to get thru the door and make a few parts for the Turbine Exhaust tube.

Cutting the transom tube support plate profile

IMG_1738.JPGIMG_1741.JPG

I had to buy a 12 inch sheet metal slip-roller to form the tube & front support tab's as trying to hand form it DID NOT WORK OUT AT ALL :wub: :wub: Looked like some one dragged it down the street then beat on it with slug hammer :lol:

All in all I'm pretty happy with the final results

IMG_1747.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

On to all the rear wing vertical an horizontal parts

Last edited:
Finished mocking up the the rear vertical's and wing only a few small items to fab and then time to break it down for my least favorite part of builds body & fender work and paint IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG

Hey Tom, this was a great thread. I wouldn't mind checking out the rest of the build.

GT

Waiting on Paint I need the weather to warm up. It coast a fortune to heat my 40x60 shop. The wife has no sense of humor about spray painting in the house.

I KNOW WOMEN RIGHT WHAT CAN YA DO. I TRIED SENDING HER ON A 2 WEEK SPA VACATION THAT DIDN'T WORK:confused::confused::confused::confused:
As soon as the paint work is done I'll get back to it and post up

Back