1/8 scale hydro set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Mattern

Just about ready to pick out hardware and gas engine for an 1/8 scale fiberglass hull of the U 95. Haven't been around the hobby for some time, but use to be into it years ago. Looking for thoughts and suppliers that are being used. Not looking to race this boat, but want to set it up correctly.
I had a hull that I held onto and fiberglass cowl and wing and just got an itch to finish after joining this forum. Hull is actually 3" longer and a little wider than the original plans that I purchased years ago. It's taken some extra fabrication but it's turning out nice.

The hull is 1/8 scale(43") long, it's 3 inches longer than the hull I built years ago from U95 plans. Gas, was thinking with clutch to make things easier since I usually run alone.

The hull is 1/8 scale(43") long, it's 3 inches longer than the hull I built years ago from U95 plans. Gas, was thinking with clutch to make things easier since I usually run alone.

Ok, gotcha.
Either way, hull hardware I would visit http://www.rossisales.com/
As far as a turn fin, if you run into trouble getting one sourced give me a shout, I may be able to help you out.
Engine and engine mount https://www.gizmomotors.com/

do you mean the 7495 turbine ?
where did you get the cowl ?

do what rick suggested above

check out the compact zen 20 at BH Hanson
http://www.bhhanson.co

Zenoah 20 PUM..20cc, EZ pull recoil, carb, Zenoah Ignition, all Zenoah accessories, Motor mount with throttle linkage included at No Charge, While supplies last..$175

zen 20 in my 43 inch ML Lauterbach below

Attachments

• 124-a.jpg
    124-a.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
do you mean the 7495 turbine ?
where did you get the cowl ?

do what rick suggested above

check out the compact zen 20 at BH Hanson
http://www.bhhanson.co

Zenoah 20 PUM..20cc, EZ pull recoil, carb, Zenoah Ignition, all Zenoah accessories, Motor mount with throttle linkage included at No Charge, While supplies last..$175

zen 20 in my 43 inch ML Lauterbach below
Dave, it's been many years now I can't remember. Thanks for the input. And yes. The 74.
Hi Dave, I talked to Al @ Hansen. He was a little discouraging about
Dave, it's been many years now I can't remember. Thanks for the input. And yes. The 74.
Hi Dave, I talked to Al at Hansen about my U 95 PROJECT. He was a little discouraging about putting a gas engine in my boat. ( Keeping everything inside the hull) , but not impossible. Suggested nitro if the expense to set up and run wasn't an issue. I think I have the room, but don't have an engine to really tell. One suggestion he did make was to use a strut with rudder sticking past the transom to trick the motor onto thinking the boat was longer. Any thoughts,?

Hi Dave, I talked to Al @ Hansen. He was a little discouraging about

Hi Dave, I talked to Al at Hansen about my U 95 PROJECT. He was a little discouraging about putting a gas engine in my boat. ( Keeping everything inside the hull) , but not impossible. Suggested nitro if the expense to set up and run wasn't an issue. I think I have the room, but don't have an engine to really tell. One suggestion he did make was to use a strut with rudder sticking past the transom to trick the motor onto thinking the boat was longer. Any thoughts,?
Dave, what is the measurement side to side from the outside of the carb to that outside of header pipe? And if possible the height of the bottom edge and top edge of the header pipe.

bill

my ML lauterbach put away for winter
I will get dimensions and weight later

surprised al discouraged you about the zen 20
I think it will fit inside that wide U95 cowl

I've built several 42-46 inch 1/8 scale hulls with zen 260 gas power
most with inside struts and short rudder brackets
some with transom mounted extended struts to increase hull length
semi-scale looking play boats.

1/8 scale cowls always the problem with gas power
depending on cowl the header elbow carb and spark plug boot show
will need water shroud on carb side
spoils scale appearance ? yes and no. close enough for me
most zen 260 powered gas sport hulls were 43-45 with shaped cowls to fit over gas engines. semi-scale pickle fork hulls

if you want to hide the engine build a gas t-boat or gas scale with full cowl
or correctly sized exposed dummy V12

gas power cheaper easier and more reliable than nitro and elec for me

Last edited:
I build at this time a CT17 with an CMB27Evo. It´s a big engine, but it fits perfectly.

Attachments

• CT17_1.jpg
    CT17_1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 25
  • CT17_2.jpg
    CT17_2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 25
  • CT17_3.jpg
    CT17_3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back