1/8 scale elec question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
I’m just curious, are there any IMPBA clubs running the 1/8 Scale elec class? If so where at?

I doubt they allow them to run with the nitro boats but do they?

What IMPBA clubs are running the 1/8 Scale (nitro) class these days?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
I’m just curious, are there any IMPBA clubs running the 1/8 Scale elec class? If so where at?

I doubt they allow them to run with the nitro boats but do they?

What IMPBA clubs are running the 1/8 Scale (nitro) class these days?

Thanks
Chris

Yes, we run nitro 1/8 scale & FE 1/8 scale together in D13 Grand Prix series. The FE is restricted by prop size (Doug Smock) can fill you in on that.
We have a good race & show when we are both on the start!
It is all driver & how the chips fall most of the time.

R/C Unlimiteds has limited the prop size on electric boats as well. They are limited, in diameter, to 57mm but are not limited in pitch or modifications. They also run their own heats, not against the nitro boats.

R/C Unlimiteds has limited the prop size on electric boats as well. They are limited, in diameter, to 57mm but are not limited in pitch or modifications. They also run their own heats, not against the nitro boats.
I know you all have a lot more scale boats running in your neck of the woods. I was looking for guys, groups, clubs maybe a little closer to me that have races where they are able to make a class. I really like the elec class but I think I’ll have a better shot at getting the 1/6th gas class going around here.

I know you all have a lot more scale boats running in your neck of the woods. I was looking for guys, groups, clubs maybe a little closer to me that have races where they are able to make a class. I really like the elec class but I think I’ll have a better shot at getting the 1/6th gas class going around here.
My response was actually to Rick, but that's okay. Since I don't know which district you are in, I felt that by letting you know that the South East and North West are doing pretty much the same thing might help you out.
With that said, R/C Unlimiteds is a fairly large club and is, for all intense and purposes, the only scale club in the area. Granted, we do have E-R/CU(1/10th scale electrics) and another club(sorry don't know the name of that one) that runs larger electric scales but, beyond that, there isn't really anything else where there are scale racing. I would contact the IMPBA officials in your district and have them point you toward a contact that can answer your questions FOR YOUR AREA. If, after talking with your local people, you still think going with a gas scale is the better option, by all means, do so. I, personally, would rather see you enjoying what you're doing in the hobby than just doing as you're told to do.

Are the FE boats your referring to intermixed with the nitro boats, or are they running only against other FE's?
If only running against FE what is the purpose limiting prop size?

Are the FE boats your referring to intermixed with the nitro boats, or are they running only against other FE's?
If only running against FE what is the purpose limiting prop size?
IIRC, the initial thought was to run nitro and FE together, that is until the powers that be discovered the FEs accelerated faster. This wouldn't be an issue EXCEPT the guys all tend to run a "trolling start", meaning the way a boat accelerates will, more often than not, determine who would win the race. After that, along with more FEs coming on line, the boats were separated. We now run three classes at an event:
  • Nitro scale
  • Electric scale
  • Gas scale
There are also some events where we will also run 1/10th FE as well, if enough boats show up to run

IIRC, 8S or below was added to the IMPBA rules a year or two ago. NAMBA has been running 8S since the beginning, again AFAIK

HJ,
You always have a commit on just about anything........most times its your opinion or your vast knowledge of only the scale groups in WA. Everything you stated above is WRONG!!!! NAMBA limit for 1/8 scale electric had been 10s for a while. It was only change in 2018. It was a big deal then. Pissed off quite a few people whos boats were now only legal in IMPBA. Quite a few sold their stuff and got out. IMPBA allowes 10S and has done so for some time. I will let the IMPBA boys answer to the exact date since they know better than I.

IIRC you can look this sh.t up in the rule book AFAIK

Thats what I did............
Mike

My apologies for not being perfect and having a life that doesn't revolve around toy boats. BTW, in case you missed it, I did specify in my post IIRC and AFAIK, meaning my response could be off.
Why didn't you just answer the question to begin with? Then you wouldn't have had to run me down or have Don waste his time agreeing with you

What does AFAIK stand for?
And I still have an outstanding question,
If you would please, Why limit prop size if electrics run together
Here you go, on the acronyms:
As
Far
As
I
Know
And then there's the other one I used:
If
I
Remember
Correctly
As far as your question, I answered that back in post 11

Don't really know. Never really worried about it since I don't run FE. You might ask Bill Brandt since he does run them and is here in the forum

IIRC, 8S or below was added to the IMPBA rules a year or two ago. NAMBA has been running 8S since the beginning, again AFAIK
My apologies for not being perfect and having a life that doesn't revolve around toy boats. BTW, in case you missed it, I did specify in my post IIRC and AFAIK, meaning my response could be off.
Why didn't you just answer the question to begin with? Then you wouldn't have had to run me down or have Don waste his time agreeing with you
Don't really know. Never really worried about it since I don't run FE. You might ask Bill Brandt since he does run them and is here in the forum

I was content to sit back on this until you decided to call me out. IIRC and AFAIK?? Maybe you should make sure you actually know what you are talking about before posting. But then again why are you posting about stuff you don't even run?? You bring this backlash on yourself Mark, especially when a little research would go a long way when clearly you don't know........

Back