1/8 scale boat weight

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron alberico

Hey Guys,

building a 1/8 scale hydro, what weight are you guys seeing with your scale boats ? 

R.T.R less fuel ...

thanks 

I like 13 pound range but have seen some tug boats near 20 haul the mail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My 2000 Elam is also around 14.  I'm hoping that the boats I'm building now are in the 12 to 14 range as well.  That said,  I've seen boats that weighed as little as 8 pounds and have a FG boat that someone else assembled that overloaded my kitchen scale at well over 15 with only the motor, motor mount, drive train, rudder and skid fin.  It really comes down to how you want your boat to handle.  IF you want a boat that's glued down, build it heavier.  If you want a boat that will "fly" over the water, go for a lighter build.  Something you need to remember is that a lighter boat will blow over easier while a heavy boat won't accelerate as quick and is harder on the right sponson transom since that's where the most stress is during the corners. 

Some can  and some can't.  Weight is only one factor.  As you know, sponson design, bottom profile, boat balance, prop and thrust angle all make a difference.  My heavy boat has a lot of weight in the front of the sponsons so I'd be surprised if it could beat a lighter boat.  I would expect it to try to submarine rather than jump up and run

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that will be fine. You mainly want to work on milling. I think that is more important then weight. Especially in my District. If you can't slow down and mill your already in last place.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the same thing going on in NAMBA 8.  Many of the drivers like to "troll" up to the line and then smash the trigger to start.  This is where my heavy boat will probably not be able to compete.  With all of the weight in the nose of the boat, I suspect that the prop will try to "climb" out of the water with the result being the boat will try to dive.  This is where working on milling and hitting the start will be a help.  I know I'm a terrible starter, just due to that very reason, lack of practice

Back