1/8 or 1/10 scale Newton 156

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron wirth

im thinking i will build this scale hydro. 156-D 8808 92" Tide.( Lucero sponson).

if i can afford it i want to put a turbine in it. Is there any clear advantages of going with 1/8 or 1/10? big difference in cost? Thanks in advance for your input guys....

There's a guy that makes 1/10 scale cowlings.

That's where I got my T-6 1/10 scale cowling.

Trying to find the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW he has it,but its plastic. Id get a glass copy pulled off it or it wont last

I doubt a 1/10 scale will allow a turbine to fit so that would pretty much require a 1/8 or larger boat. To take this one step further, someone else was asking about this in a different forum. An approximate cost for a Wren marine turbine with gearbox is in excess of $4500 so if cost is an issue, this could be the deal breaker

Neither 1/10 or 1/8 scale size is big enough for a turbine. The Wren 44 turboprop is rated at 7.5 hp, around that of a really good gas scale engine like the Quickdraw Pioneer 29. The other issue is that there aren't any props that will work at 9,000 rpm. You will need a different gearbox that gives at least 16,000 rpm shaft output to run gasoline engine sized props. You could run nitro engine or electric motor sized props with a 25,000 to 35,000 rpm output. On top of all these issues, NAMBA liability insurance won't cover turbine operation. I don't know about IMPBA. I wouldn't dream of operating a turbine without good liability coverage.

Lohring Miller, NAMBA Safety Director

i am aware of the cost.. i will sell a couple bikes to get it if i have to. ( got too many anyways). i was just thinking it would work. if u you tube 1/8 scale turbine hydro theres a couple promising videos. i figure i will have about 10K into it by the time its done..

Go with the gas scale size, its going to handle that setup a whole lot better than a smaller boat. Mike

Back