1/4" square cable?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m doing good, got a few physical problems that I hope to have taken care of when I get back north for the summer. I’d like to schedule a pilgrimage to Canada to square some shafts for a couple of hybrid drives. I’m not sure what direction T is headed but I’m thinking you’ll be able to help him.
I’m working on the TEE shirts for “Old Dog RC” **** there’s a bunch of us!
Thanks John

Terry, go to a garden supply, and small engine repair place. You can get all the squared, 1/4" cable you want from old weed wackers.

Steve Ball

What is the standard fabrication process to square flex-cable? Are they pressed? Or are they machined (on 4 sides)?

I ask because when I analyze a few squared samples I have, one looks to have been machined, while the other looks like it may have been pressed?

Here are 3 different samples of .250 diameter squared flex cable

Attachments

• HyperFormance_FlexCable_Squared-.250_02.jpg
    HyperFormance_FlexCable_Squared-.250_02.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23
  • HyperFormance_FlexCable_Squared-.250_01.jpg
    HyperFormance_FlexCable_Squared-.250_01.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Prather_FlexCable,Squared-.250_01.jpg
    Prather_FlexCable,Squared-.250_01.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Prather_FlexCable,Squared-.250_02.jpg
    Prather_FlexCable,Squared-.250_02.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DYMotorShop,China_FlexCable,Squared-.250_eBay-Jan2020_02.jpg
    DYMotorShop,China_FlexCable,Squared-.250_eBay-Jan2020_02.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I’ve never heard of any being machined. The ones I’m familiar with are formed in a press, minimum 60 tons, can be a hydraulic or OBI or two bottle jacks in a frame like Steve has or even a large arbor press. The form dies are matching V slots, top and bottom.

It isn't as easy as you think to do them properly so when finished the square is centered on the cable and the lay of the wire is still tight on the transition from round to square.

I’ve never heard of any being machined. The ones I’m familiar with are formed in a press, minimum 60 tons, can be a hydraulic or OBI or two bottle jacks in a frame like Steve has or even a large arbor press. The form dies are matching V slots, top and bottom.
Machining a cable would weaken it as it is cutting strands of the cable. I agree that they are machine pressed. I purchased a boat ( all new and never in the water). The flex drive snapped off at the engine coupling within 30 seconds. I know the builder tried to weld the cable at the strut end and the cable welded itself to the tube and seized.
Buy the right cable or have it done professionally. I have had this boat for over a year and never used it.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Here is my square drive die.
I use a 36 oz hammer to square the cables it takes a lot of practice (ô¿ô) 9A722F18-A770-458E-A83C-7A6FC6371E21.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back