1:12 Miss Elam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey sorry for a lat reply.

We had the boat on display a few days ago at the Melbourne Boat Show, the people loved it

I've got the 2300 kv motor ready & waiting for the boat but haven't put it in yet, think i'll try the bigger prop size like Jeff said for another few speed runs before doing the motor swap.

I'd like to know about advancing the timing on the engine & what advantanges/disadvantages can be done.

Also the age old story 2s 4s 5s 6s batteries, i dont understand them really well,could you explain them a little better. I'm trying to get more speed from this boat, you guys seem to be running 45MPH+ & I'm not sure if i have done something wrong because i'm only in the 35MPH area....

Dairn, the cowl is based on the GP class of hydroplane & this one boat race's ín Australia. It'almost the same as the unlimited lights. The cowl I made is 30 grams lighter than the pro boat version & i have more than enough air flowing out of the cowl via the 3 small air ducts on the back so it 'shouldn't cause any drag (hopefully)

Hey Scott.

On Mine with the Stock Proboat motor I put the 645 prop sharpened and balanced and got 41mph so your should run similar to that as it sits now with the same prop.

With some tweaking of that prop I am sure I could be in the 45mph range pretty easily.

I am running the boat on 4s which for me is 2 2s batteries run in series to make 14.8v.

If you ran 5s or 6s just make sure your controller will support that amount of current and you would see speed increase with the xtra power but will also need to adjust prop accordingly.

As for timing for these motors if you adjust it up or down you wont see a big difference aside from xtra heat with higher timing.

7-10 degrees is a good range to play with.

I do add some weight on the front of the boat and also have an adjustable strut but at the moment for you that shouldn't be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know about advancing the timing on the engine & what advantanges/disadvantages can be done...
The exact timing required depends on the amp draw of the motor – the larger the prop the higher the timing. Too little timing will generate excess heat since the motor is not operating efficiently, but too much timing is not good either. The factory timing for these motors is 10 degrees and it is probably best to stay near there.
Also the age old story 2s 4s 5s 6s batteries, i dont understand them really well, could you explain them a little better….
The higher the voltage, the lower Kv motor you need. 2S is 7.4 volts, 4S is 14.8 volts, 5S is 18.5 volts, 6S is 22.2 volts. If you double the voltage on a motor you will in theory double the rpm…but in reality you will probably burn it up. The 1500 Kv motor is great for 4S, fine on 5S but marginal on 6S. When you increase the voltage you must reduce prop size, otherwise you will burn up the EeSC and/or motor. The 2030 Kv motor should be 4S only except in very lightweight hulls or for SAW running.
The cowl I made is 30 grams lighter than the pro boat version & i have more than enough air flowing out of the cowl via the 3 small air ducts on the back so it 'shouldn't cause any drag (hopefully)
It is a common misconception that opening up a hole in the cowl will decrease drag. Model airplane builders have known for decades that this is not the case, it always increases drag because it more than doubles the air-to-surface area, greatly increases turbulence and thus raises the total drag. Close off the openings and go faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, is the boat I posted in the video the same elam hull you have? Just curious.

Hugh

Last edited:
Yes Hugh it's the same hull, main changes are I took off the rear wing, took out 2 front tips at the front & made my own cowl but other wise it's the same. The underside of the hull I haven't touched

Latest posts

Back