1:12 Miss Elam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cowl getting some finishing touch's before prime & paint

IMG_1989.JPG the nose has been fixed & primed

IMG_1990.JPG sanding the bottom for paint

IMG_1995.JPG bottom painted in white :)

Picture 001.jpg this is what I'm trying to make it look like

Take your time scott and you will make it look like that. just make sure you get the edges feathered good on your cowl . You may need to prime it on time to see where the flaws are. Are you going to make it a LSH boat? meaning are you going to put a 4s lipo ul setup in it?

At the moment i was going to put the proboat engine back into it & get it back on the water with the new batteries.

Once I'm happy with it I'll order a new esc & ul1 motor :)

prop wise i have a selection of 35 - 45mm 2 blade & 3 blade props to try soit should be interesting, also just got a small garmin gps unit to put into the boat for speed testing.

Yeah the cowl has a bit more to go on it, I'm just about to prime it. The boat is drying so when it's dry I'll do a fit up & make sure the cowl fits :)

It's getting there, slowly hopefully in the next few days i'll get the red paint onto the boat & add more pictures then

Id take darins advice on the props The man simply runs alot so his real world knowledge is vast.

54 mph on that hull will really look fast. 54 on that small motor is really nice.

Cant wait to see it run.

Last edited:
Time for an update, been doing some spray paint work to the boat

IMG_2023.JPG hull & cowl painted

IMG_2025.JPG the cowl

IMG_2051.JPG the inside of the cowl

IMG_2049.JPG masking up & painting the yellow

IMG_2052.JPG The finish so far

all done for tonight, time to go & rest & finish the rest tomorrow & then start the rebuild :)

IMG_2084.JPG masking up for the windows

IMG_2085.JPG freshly unwrapped

IMG_2086.JPG side view

IMG_2087.JPG bottom of the hull

IMG_2102.JPG starting to put it back together

Looks Great. Didnt realize your motor was a 3674 can . This will run real nice when you are done. Have you sharpened and balanced your props?

IMG_2104.JPG All back together

IMG_2130.JPG Starting the silver

IMG_2132.JPG Done highlights around the window

IMG_2134.JPG All done

now its time to balance the props & get onto the stickers. Just have to wait & see how much time i have over Easter to finish it off

IMG_2135.JPG Nice new 3 Blade prop to try

IMG_2243.JPG Stckers Under the boat just like the real boat :)

IMG_2245.JPG Side sticker just like the real boat

IMG_2253.JPG All finished off (side view)

IMG_2254.JPG All finished off (front veiw)

IMG_2283.JPG On Displace at Lake Eppalock in Victoria, Australia with my other boat's I've built

hopefully in the next few weeks we can go for some water time, once i do that i'll upload some footage & pictures

Just an update for you

Got the boat running on the water today, bat saddly lost the cowl!

it ran 50.3 km/h with the standard set up

so time to build another cowl & put the new 120 amp esc into it for another speed test

is the footage

Hey Scott.

I currently have a a Elam I have done similar to your removed the wings and put in a UL-1 motor.

I heat race it and have been using a 443 Aluminum prop. At moment it is running 46.5mph consistently.

I still have tweaking and tuning to do but this is my "safe" reliable setup.

Runs smooth and good acceleration. The boat does like to lift so I have taped off the first break in the tunnel from the canards back to the tunnel floor which seams to help a lot with the added speed.

I am probably going to test out the stock motor some and see what I can do with that. eventually.

Have fun and boat is looking good!

So far the boat hasn't wanted to lift. Its sitting really well on the water & Im just starting to look for a little more speed.

I've made amould & a new cowl so it would be easy to start making more cowls if needed, only this time i've put cowl locks into the setup to keep it on the boat no matter whats going to happen.

I've just gotten a 120amp esc so im keen to see how that goes.

it's 90grams lighter than the proboat version & the new cowl it 103 grams total, 2 grams heavier than the proboat version but i have cowl locks which they dont.

IMG_2623.JPG rear veiw of the cowl

IMG_2645.JPG front view of the cowl

IMG_2655.JPG fully painted version

hopefully i can go out for testing again & run with the gps to see the speed difference with everything done

Im going to put the boat on the scales to see about the weight difference once the new items are in & working

Next upgrade will be to a new motor & maybe a bigger prop :)

Very Nice! Scott. Put some cowl locks on next time though. It looks like it running a little wet. Lossen her up a bit.and get that transom up out of the water.

Last edited:
Took the boat & ran it yesturday

I've put a 42mm prop onto it & have upgraded the esc to a 120 amp seaking. It was just out of the packet & didn't put the contrl card on it to adjust it, just wanted to see how things went as they where

The first run was witht the old prop (40mm) & it ran 42.7 a little slower than the 50.3 with the old proboat esc. Swapped the prop & it went up to 57.1km/h, now im looking around for the program card for the esc to fine turn it up. Hopefully I can find a little more speed once thats done before dropping in a new brushless 2300kv motor :)

was the run that we did

Have you got you 2300 kv motor yet? It should really move well when u do that. Its handling nicely as is B) .

Boat is looking good.

Little tweak here and there.

You should try a larger prop with the proboat motor.

We run them with 447 props in our 1/10 scale hydroplanes no problem.

I ran a 645 on my proboat motor in my elam and got 41 mph.

Like hugh said the 2300kv motor jump you up quit a bit in speed but keep the prop size down!

Guys... I've had my Miss Elam up to well into the 50's using the 1500KV PB motor, but it take a lot of pitch, and the handling suffers. The boat really came alive with the higher KV,, smaller prop setup.

Like the new cowl. I've been thinking of making a cowl that doesn't have any scoop at all, so I can turn this into an "Unlimited Light" style hull instead, to get rid of the drag, and to keep the weight down... or at least help to shift the weight forward...

Back