1/10 1985 U100 Miss Rock Build

Discussion in 'Fast Electric Forum' started by TomGracey, Oct 3, 2019.

intlwaters.com

Help Support intlwaters.com:

1. Oct 3, 2019 #1

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One of this winter's Builds for the NAMBA DIST. 8 2120 Season

Fabed up the build fixture out of 3/4 MDF I really like the stability of this material the fixture is perfectly Square and flat. Tnx to Scott Meyers of M5 performance for the hint on using this material. Ive started fitting The ML Boatworks hull parts

Here is a really good Video on building a boat building Fixture

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 10.44.09 AM.png

I have to add 1 more piece of MDF to add to bottom of the fixture after I confirm that the tunnel width an break in the bottom are correct Don't want to tear it all apart if these are not correct
    IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2010.JPG

More to follow as the build progress

2. Oct 5, 2019 #2

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

So what to do U on a cold rainy day Saturday in WWA. when Ur waiting for epoxy to cure on hull build. The one thing I HATE MORE then hull body, fender, paint work. Get out the files sand paper Dremel Tool and balancing stand and thin sharpen & balance a couple of ABC props YUCK IMG_2015.JPG

3. Oct 8, 2019 #3

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

With all the fitting and tweaking of the sponson side plates and rib's done.
    Finally started the glue up of the starboard side sponson side-plate as soon as the epoxy set's up. I'll start on the Port side then on to the engine rails.
    IMG_2020.JPG IMG_2019.JPG
    Learned a long time ago not to do too much at one time in case something shift''s epoxy is not very forgiving to disassemble if something go wrong. This is one time when patients is necessary and trust me I have NONE

4. Oct 9, 2019 #4

Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

I ended up adding material to the framework edges to increase the gluing surfaces. I don't like gluing sheeting to 1/16" framework. Personally, I found this a very challenging build. But, my '85 BOAT runs fine.

JD

5. Oct 9, 2019 #5

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

TNX Dunny I have always done the same thing with balsa 3/16 & 1/4 Sq. stick's to increase the glue surface and it really does not add that much weight but the seams and areas under stress loads don't fall apart

6. Oct 10, 2019 #6

Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

Jerry Dunlap

I know you are still a long ways from sheeting the bottom of the sponsons, but I found out the sponson Angle of Attack was dang near zero with my strut depth at 1 1/4" to bottom of the strut. I increased the AOA by adding a 1/8" deep piece of plywood to the back of the sponson and using 1/16" plywood to create a wedge.

7. Oct 10, 2019 #7

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

TNX for the info on the sponsons had not looked that far a head yet just a quick cursory look and the R Newton drawing

I just finished 4 props to play with 2 Octura' X447R's thinned sharpened & balanced 1 of which I'm going to Detounge Cup and increase the pitch on as I do some testing

And 2 ABC H-1714 2b R's thinned sharpened & balanced 1 stock The sec ind going-to cup and increase the pitch slightly on as I do some testing

8. Oct 11, 2019 #8

TomGracey

TomGracey

TomGracey

Starting to look like a boat. Most of the major glue up getting close to being completed a few more deck & sponson
    stringers to make but this is enough for today.
    IMG_2023.JPG

Heading out to the machined shop to make a turn fin bracket and turn fin
    IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1905.JPG