Nelson O/B

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxracer

Anybody know if Nelson still has any of his  engines left? I know he was supposed to stop making them. Or does anyone know if the airplane sleeves/cases are interchangeable?

Thanks!

-Jr

Mitch,

I think Henry still has the necessary parts to assemble .45 cu in long stroke outboards. 724-538-5282

JA

Last edited by a moderator:
What parts or engines do you want? I have 2 new long stroke motors hardly ran

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well I won't be able to do anything for a few weeks but Alan send me some photos of what you have if you don't mind. And thanks Jim, I'll give Henry a call too!

Appreciate it guys!

Yeah, I almost bought it myself, then I remembered that the Novarossi .46 is far superior...Lol. 

It was an intersting carb though. I did buy the OS that he had, and also the piston/sleeve/rod combo he had for the NR.46. 

Yeah, I almost bought it myself, then I remembered that the Novarossi .46 is far superior...Lol. 

It was an intersting carb though. I did buy the OS that he had, and also the piston/sleeve/rod combo he had for the NR.46. 
What kind of carburetor was on the Nelson? Was the engine a .45 long stroke engine? If the .46 Novarossi is really far superior, I wonder why they have not entered the large Pylon Racing market?

LOL.

Jim Allen 

Because its a boat engine, not an airplane engine? Id put my NR against any Nelson in the country. Come on back down to Charleston Jim!  

Jim,

Not sure if weight means as much for an outboard but the NR 46 powerhead is 19oz. vs. the Nelson at 17oz. which might make it heavy for a pylon racer. As for far superior the NR is a well built motor but when we set the oval records we put a Drake NR46 back in the box and used an inferior Nelson 45. 

HMMM. any Nelson?

Mic

Jim,

Not sure if weight means as much for an outboard but the NR 46 powerhead is 19oz. vs. the Nelson at 17oz. which might make it heavy for a pylon racer. As for far superior the NR is a well built motor but when we set the oval records we put a Drake NR46 back in the box and used an inferior Nelson 45. 

HMMM. any Nelson?

Mic
I wasn't there when you guys broke that record but I am fairly sure you didn't have the new NR-46. Originally Nova Rossi tried to use the Pylon crankcase on the first version of NR-46's and due the the thin crankcase they would fracture and cause air leaks that would drive you NUTS. They redesigned the case and now it is much thicker (heaver too) and the new engines with the beefed up crankcases are Super Bad Ass. I would like to race my NR-46 against a good nelson to see how they stack up. Jim would most likely have his Nelson at the top of its game. That would be a good race for sure.

I will be very happy to run my latest .45 Nelson long stroke engines for "six timed laps" against any one's whatever. In 2012 I ran an older model .45 Nelson long stroke without the ability to throttle the engine up & down. Jay Halbehder was my back up man during open water testing & during the race. Because I was unable to throttle the engine I finished only one heat. John Knight was the caller of that race where I ran the boat wide open from start to finish, lapping the entire field several times, while starting the race well behind the entire field.  Maybe he can testify as to speed of this boat with that engine. If I remember correctly, John Otto nicknamed this boat "the rocket".

Jim Allen

003.JPG

Hah... I figured that would trigger a few folks. 

And yes, any Nelson in the country. 6 laps, on the course.

Then we can have an endurance challenge, 3 race seasons on the same motor without even removing a single bolt from the engine. 7 races a season. Love to see a Nelson do a fraction of that. 

All i hear is talk, bring it to the Tunnel Champs race in May. Show me, shut me up. 

Speaking of "smack talk". How did a 12 year old kid with a K&B and a HTV that were built before he was born, whup all the superior equipment at the Winter Nitro Champs? 

Mic

It would be cool to see some really fast 7.5 mod tunnels all at the same place. Jim, thanks for all the pictures and info you posted. Your boats are always top notch. 

I look forward to meeting you.

-Carl

Back