Hello All! I am new here and could use some advise on FE conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradClaypool

Hello Everyone

Years ago I was pretty involved in building nitro rc boats. I am starting to get back into the sport and would like to convert my  1/8 scale Miss Circus Circus to electric.

I would like to get your opinions on what motor, esc, prop to run. I am not intending on racing it and would like to keep the cost down somewhat since I am just going to play with it on a lake in Wis.

I don't want to step on any toes, but I do want to mention that I have asked the same question on OSE, but would like more opinions before doing the conversion. I already have two 4S 5000ma 70C packs. Others have suggested using a 56mm motor, that raises issues with the existing stuffing tube location. I would rather use a 40mm motor as long as it will be enough power and not cook everything. What I am considering is a 

TP 4070 5Y 910KV and a 200A esc, maybe ZTW or Swordfish. Not sure what prop to run

Thanks for your help

Brad 

IMG_20181215_141713454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brad,

Much of the input you've gotten from OSE is going to the same here.  If 40mm diameter is your limit the TP 4070 is the right choice.   However, 5000mah is a little on the low side and won't yield you much run time without working the packs hard IMO.

I am going to guess an Octura X450, X450/3, and X452 would be ideal SAFE starters to get things moving.  You will need to monitor battery mah consumption, battery heat, and controller heat (this is where data logging on the controller is helpful).  Once you have a good grasp on the mah consumption during a set time, that will help you understand your amp draw.  You can start trying other (faster) props.

Others many have valuable input on the prop selection.  I tend to be a little more cautious on new set ups. 

I had a hunch that a lot of guys belong to both forums...that is why I want to be careful and not offend anyone. On OSE I  never got a confirmation that the 4070 was the correct motor.

Do you think 910KV is correct for this setup? I'm kind of stuck with the 8s packs for now, maybe down the road I can switch to 10s. Just trying to keep the cost under control.

I have an X460 on it now with the PIcco 80. Do you think that prop is useless after the conversion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote an article on nitro to electric conversion.  The boat still holds the NAMBA 1/8 scale and T hydro two lap records.  See [SIZE=11pt]http://namba.com/content/library/propwash/2012/November/#/18/[/SIZE]

Lohring Miller
Very interesting article, it does sound like I may have short  run time with the dual packs. How does that first motor you ran compare to the TP4070?

I am not trying to break any speed records, in fact I would rather keep it under control so I don't trash the boat. You were running 800KV,  should I stay closer to that number?

We ran 2 5000 mah 4S packs in series for the two lap trials.  Four 4S packs were used for heat racing.  The Current NAMBA 1/8 scale rules only allow 6000 mah and 8S.  That should be enough for a race with the propeller diameter rule limiting current.  A race lasts less than 2 minutes so that's all the battery you need.  I would consider 800 to 900 KV motors on 8S.  The TP motor is available with this KV.  The prop will determine run time.  A smaller prop will run longer but slower than a 57 mm prop.

We ran 2 5000 mah 4S packs in series for the two lap trials.  Four 4S packs were used for heat racing.  The Current NAMBA 1/8 scale rules only allow 6000 mah and 8S.  That should be enough for a race with the propeller diameter rule limiting current.  A race lasts less than 2 minutes so that's all the battery you need.  I would consider 800 to 900 KV motors on 8S.  The TP motor is available with this KV.  The prop will determine run time.  A smaller prop will run longer but slower than a 57 mm prop.
Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards a 910KV motor...looks like that will be the choice. I can finally start progressing with the conversion. I'm not sure I can get 4 packs in the hull and still have it balance correctly....may just have to live with short run times for now. Where do you guys typically have the center of gravity on an 1/8 scale hydro?

Back