Carbon-carbon Pistons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article Lohring, 

What I found most intriguing was the possibility of carbon-carbon engine blocks! Huge deal for the automotive industry but consider what that would mean to model airplanes. Less weight and friction, less emissions. Super cool.

Thanks for sharing.

I keep thinking that carbon epoxy engine blocks might be possible.  You would need metal for the working parts.  Heat is the major issue.  Even high temp epoxies are only good to around 600 degrees.  Brian Buaas has been building carbon epoxy tuned pipes for nitro engines.  Maybe that experience could be valuable.

Lohring Miller

Hi Lorin,

when i worked on fuelcells with SGL Carbon company in the 90tis they worke also on motor parts . For the piston and for the liner they used solide graphite , no need of oil or other lubrication. Some years ago you could order a set for the VW Rabbit motor for test.The good thing is that carbon graphite becomes stronger if heat rise. Metal goes weak at higher temp. 

For the engine block it is better to use carbon fiber filled carbon , but this is very expansive as you have to carbonise the matrix material and this process has be done moore times to get a tight and solide material. I have some carbon parts at home as i want to change the piston and linier in a 0,15 cu. in. modelmotor from Webra,to run it with no oil , only alkohol and nitro.

Today they start 3d laser sintering with carbon where the matrix can carbonised by process. This give the ability to design things you have never tought about.

Currently i am helping our WARR Team at the munich university with the hyperloop pod as they use our motors to drive the pod . They won every contest . http://www.sglgroup.de/cms/international/home/index.html?__locale=en  .

Happy Amps Christian

Christian, how will you lubricate the bearings for the crank and connecting rod with no oil in the fuel?

Hi Paul,

the same way , using graphite bearing only lubricated by the fuel. I have worked at a company they have produced the fuel pump for fighter aircraft the Tornado Eurofighter . This pump run full inside the fuel no other lubrication. Ok gasolin for fighter is moore lubrication possible than alkohol but with the right combination it will worke in a model engine as it has not to stay like in a fighter plane. https://ggt-gleitlager.de/de/produkte/gleitlager/gleitlager-aus-kohlenstoff?gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-ydzfSngDjzFMkv2jzSuQiLQKrBKxmWOBHCTArcZwq5G9_-W72SjMBoCyD0QAvD_BwE  .

Happy Amps Christian

Hi Lorin,

when i worked on fuelcells with SGL Carbon company in the 90tis they worke also on motor parts . For the piston and for the liner they used solide graphite , no need of oil or other lubrication. Some years ago you could order a set for the VW Rabbit motor for test.The good thing is that carbon graphite becomes stronger if heat rise. Metal goes weak at higher temp. 

For the engine block it is better to use carbon fiber filled carbon , but this is very expansive as you have to carbonise the matrix material and this process has be done moore times to get a tight and solide material. I have some carbon parts at home as i want to change the piston and linier in a 0,15 cu. in. modelmotor from Webra,to run it with no oil , only alkohol and nitro.

Today they start 3d laser sintering with carbon where the matrix can carbonised by process. This give the ability to design things you have never tought about.

Currently i am helping our WARR Team at the munich university with the hyperloop pod as they use our motors to drive the pod . They won every contest . http://www.sglgroup.de/cms/international/home/index.html?__locale=en  .

Happy Amps Christian
Hello Christian,

I just went this past weekend to visit the TUM team working on Hyperloop.  Not a surprise they are well connected with the gearheads in our hobby.

They are using 8x LMT motors with a similar number of MGM controllers.  Another fascinating project.  

@Lohring, NASA and the DoD did some fantastic research into ceramic engines and piston engines with really exotic pistons.  Don't know if the papers have been declassified yet.

Hi Tyler,

yes , the Lehnermotors suck up to 240 kw for acceleration. I conect Jörg Mirkwitschka to the Hyperloop team as he has the best batteries on the planet. I would accelerate this pod by linear motor . Dr. Goetz Heidelberg was one of the inventor of the german levitating train the Transrapid that run in China. Same technic we used for a high speed accelerator that has showen ability of mach 10 on a short ramp. With such the hyperloop is no moore a dream. If you like to contact the people behind the accelerater i can aske as the are now old and retiered man but not sleeping. 

Happy Amps Christian

Hi Lorin,

Happy Amps Christian
Christian would a carbon sleeve and piston work well together? Or would one need to be made from an opposing metal?

Hi Ryan,

sorry for my later response. As i know the SGL group offered graphite piston and sleve both made of graphite. In the aircraft fuel pump we had steel shaft with cromic coating and graphite bearing that has a spirally grove that help the fuel to lubricate it.This have to run without fail. To lath the bearing is very expensive as you need true diamond tool and this hold only about for  8 - 10 pices.

Happy Amps Christian

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back