Hudy Break In Bench Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP

I received a Hudy break in bench as a gift and since I can't make it to the pond as much as I would like, I figure it is a good way to get the initial break in runs on the motor at home out of the boat.  This unit is primarily designed for car motors, as it is setup to use a car pipe.  For those of you that have used one of these, did you devise a way to use a marine pipe, or does it not matter for initial runs?  Can I use a car pipe since it will be running rich and not trying to pull RPMs? 

JayP

Jayp

Dick Jones here, Yes U can use a car pipe for break in, I recommend, 3 to 4 tanks of fuel thru the engine, at low idle, do not let the engine go to high RPM"s, use a rod and a clevis to keep the RPM's low, when U hear the engine start to "rev", running out of fuel, close the throttle, and put your finger over the carb intake to shut the engine off.  Since this procedure is a no load break in, U will need to put a good marine pipe and header on, when U put the engine in the boat, grease the shaft, make the shaft length long enough to leave, 3/8, to 1/2 inch of the drive dog past the strut, as the shaft will be to tight against the strut if U don't, and a good possibility, of losing the shaft and prop. I always cut the shaft length so there is enough of the shaft to go all the way in to the collet ,I use a low temp solder to, solder the the shaft /,1 inch down from the end of the shaft. After I shoulder, I then use some coarse sand paper on the soldered area, while the shaft end is in my portable drill, until the od of the soldered are is able to slide into the collett.

Hope this helps, if I can be of any more help, just email please

dick jones,cape coral,fl

Past IMPBA President, US 1 champion, IMPBA hall of fame. 

Jayp

No need for the rudy breakin bench but if you want to use it then fine..

Just install engine in your boat ..

Use a heat gun to warm the head to 100celsius before you turn over .so to loosen the piston liner fit.

When she starts be sure its fat rich and open the throttle to 1/2 - 3/4 to kerp it running.

If you have a temp gun make sure the engine stays around 100celsius while the engine is running...Do maybe 2 tanks on the bench then throw it in the water so the engine has some load...Keep it reasonably rich and bring it in to sure .check head temp then.let it cool ...Its a process and can take time and its frustrating.But if you dont have time to run boats .Just keep it boxed.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know why I bother commenting with all the know it all's.  

No learning curve David ..

But surely convenient if you buy .12 or 21 from nova .

I believe the run in from factory is actually in a machine tub of 200f degree oil .cost around 100$ extra

Back to the Hudy stand.... I got one and didn't use it. The instruction manual was great though. You aren't trying to run it super rich, you're aiming for a consistent temperature. Super rich and there will not be enough heat and you end up wearing out your motor before it gets broken in. If you have a side exhaust motor the car pipe will be fine. .21 right ?

I  ended up building my own stand. I  was great for me has I'm not a seasoned veteran that just knows what is perfect by ear.  A temp gun is a requirement for me. Read the Hudy break in procedure in the manual. 

Thank you all for your input! Since I have the stand I will use it and follow your guidance on break in.  I will run a few tanks on the bench watching the temp, then put it in the boat and run it on the water.

Back to the Hudy stand.... I got one and didn't use it. The instruction manual was great though. You aren't trying to run it super rich, you're aiming for a consistent temperature. Super rich and there will not be enough heat and you end up wearing out your motor before it gets broken in. If you have a side exhaust motor the car pipe will be fine. .21 right ?

I  ended up building my own stand. I  was great for me has I'm not a seasoned veteran that just knows what is perfect by ear.  A temp gun is a requirement for me. Read the Hudy break in procedure in the manual. 
Grayson i get 200f no problem when i run in my engines  Rich. during bench break...As do many people ..You can also temporarily pinch on the pipe line if needed while running also ..

Back