Sponson questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevegross

Supporting Member
Hey guys. I’m new to this site and could use a little help.  I’m getting a scratch built hydro my dad made in the mid 90’s up and running again. Has been sitting since then. A lot has changed since we ran it back then. My question is the front sponsons. There currently spaced 5” from the tub to the inside of the sponson. Should I make them wider? Seems like there spaced out a lot further now. Thanks in advance guys

Steve

924425EC-C55E-4A46-BECC-BEEA0D9D47EF.jpeg

9FA74A68-3F4A-496C-A748-EBA21425A48C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The boats with wider set sponsons are designed for that spacing.  Your boat was designed to run with the set up it has now.  If you really think you need to experiment, feel free.  I doubt it will help the boat to perform any better than when it was first built

Yes it would be more stable with a bigger footprint. 

Although id suggest running it as is and then making 1 change at a time. It’s much easier to improve a boat your familiar with and that is running then starting all from scratch. 

Steve,

With some older boats I have started by going out 1” more from the tub with the sponsons and then go test it.

Only one way to find out by testing different configurations and adjusting it accordingly.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Hey guys. I’m new to this site and could use a little help.  I’m getting a scratch built hydro my dad made in the mid 90’s up and running again. Has been sitting since then. A lot has changed since we ran it back then. My question is the front sponsons. There currently spaced 5” from the tub to the inside of the sponson. Should I make them wider? Seems like there spaced out a lot further now. Thanks in advance guys

Steve

View attachment 99107

View attachment 99108

Steve

View attachment 99107

View attachment 99108
Steve Very old design boat, I know because I have one in my garage, The rudder placement is I believe  wrong, as it relates to the prop location, because, the spray coming off of the prop will contact the rudder blade, in its current location,   making it very hard to  keep the rudder straight, making it very hard to steer, I would shorten the rudder bracket until,  the rear of the rudder blade, is just in front of the rear of the of the prop!!!

Hope this helps

dick jones 

Latest posts

Back