R.E.K. / Irwin 3.5 composite lower unit ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi  all i just had a friend purchase one of these units  for me from e-bay to use with UL-1 B/L power. Does anyone know  exactly what kind of material these lower units are cast from ? Looks like some kind of black plastic . Are these composite lower units still in production ? Regards Andris Golts.

Hi  all i just had a friend purchase one of these units  for me from e-bay to use with UL-1 B/L power. Does anyone know  exactly what kind of material these lower units are cast from ? Looks like some kind of black plastic . Are these composite lower units still in production ? Regards Andris Golts.
Hi,

Can you do us a favor and post a picture. Thanks 

sounds like a Jim Erwin unit made about 10 years or so ago

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

Years ago when they were first made I was told that they were molded from fiberglass filled Valox. I used to work for a company that made injection molds and I was their CNC computer programmer for the molding department. When we had parts to make that had to be rugged and take a lot of punishment we would shoot those parts with the fiberglass filled Valox and the parts were tough as nails. It would be my choice for an application like an injected lower unit.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to Irwin about these years ago (I think at the 2004 Internats) where he gave me a few of the lower units. If I remember correctly, they were made from a fiber filled material like Carl mentioned. I ran it for a little while and it worked out just fine. The guy who actually made them was named Richard (cant remember his last name) which is where the name REK lower unit comes from, his initials. The injection work was very good, and it inlcuded an encased brass sleeve for the flex if I remember correctly. I never had any issues with mine. I remember having to sharpen the skeg with a razor blade... 

Latest posts

Back