NAMBA and IMPBA Hall of Fame

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking with some friends about the Hall of Fames of the two organizations and was surprised who was NOT in the Hall of Fame compared to the people that were. Not taking away from anyone that IS in the Hall of Fame, I was wanting to know what the purpose of the Hall of Fame was. I haven't researched this part so if I am wrong feel free to correct me. Initially for NAMBA at least, I thought a requirement or two was to have had to have been an District Director or an Officer in a local club of some capacity. I see by those chosen to date that does not seem to be the case. Contributions to the hobby vary after that but are usually a combination of those that have contributed to the organization in leadership, competition, manufacturing, helping others or promotion of the hobby.

In addition to those things I think it should include those that have propelled the technology of the hobby forward either by achieving great feats of today or breaking a ceiling. There are also those members that have dedicated their lives to making reliable competitive boat much more accessible to the general membership body. This helps keep the membership up as many more can be competitive. These thinks are also milestones in the evolution of the organizations and the hobby as whole. This is history in each of the organizations that would be a travesty if you opened up the history books 50 years from now when some might be gone from us without a footprint mention at all. We'd be doing them and the integrity of our organizations a disservice if such a thing were to occur.

This not meant to to rile people up or stir up anything. If it does then most likely you're guilty of something I have no idea about. Instead what ever has occurred in the past for whatever reason is in the past. I prefer we leave it there so not to lose focus of this post. I'd prefer those that make the decisions for such things or make the recommendations of such things take what I have written into consideration. Look at what you see on the water, what you hear on the microphone, what you read in RC Boat media that is positive for RC boating. Who's behind those things?... Driving those things forward?... And where might we be without them? Money isn't the prime motivator for these people that's for sure. As a matter of fact RC Boat Modeler magazine's media kit shows that RC boaters spend the least amount of money in all of RC sports. For those that have dedicated their life to it it is a labor of love for the sport and that's about it. There are a few guys that put a lot of love in it in some cases even risking their health without the honor. If it's made a print in the history of one or both organizations it should be made a part of the organizations history.

Just a thought I had that I decided to share. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking with some friends about the Hall of Fames of the two organizations and was surprised who was NOT in the Hall of Fame compared to the people that were. Not taking away from anyone that IS in the Hall of Fame, I was wanted to know what the purpose of the Hall of Fame was. I haven't researched this part so if I am wrong feel free to correct me. Initially for NAMBA at least, I thought a requirement or two was to have had to have been an District Director or an Officer in a local club of some capacity. I see by those chosen to date that does not seem to be the case. Contributions to the hobby vary after that but are usually a combination of those that have contributed to the organization in leadership, competition, manufacturing, helping others or promotion of the hobby.

In addition to those things I think it should include those that have propelled the technology of the hobby forward either by achieving great feats of today or breaking a ceiling. There are also those members that have dedicated their lives to making reliable competitive boat much more accessible to the general membership body. This helps keep the membership up as many more can be competitive. These thinks are also milestones in the evolution of the organizations and the hobby as whole. This is history in each of the organizations that would be a travesty if you opened up the history books 50 years from now when some might be gone from us without a footprint mention at all. We'd be doing them and the integrity of our organizations a disservice if such a thing were to occur.

This not meant to to rile people up or stir up anything. If it does then most likely you're guilty of something I have no idea about. Instead what ever has occurred in the past for whatever reason is in the past. I prefer we leave it there so not to lose focus of this post. I'd prefer those that make the decisions for such things or make the recommendations of such things take what I have written into consideration. Look at what you see on the water, what you hear on the microphone, what you read in RC Boat media that is positive for RC boating. Who's behind those things?... Driving those things forward?... And where might we be without them? Money isn't the prime motivator for these people that's for sure. As a matter of fact RC Boat Modeler magazine's media kit shows that RC boaters spend the least amount of money in all of RC sports. For those that have dedicated their life to it it is a labor of love for the sport and that's about it. There are a few guys that put a lot of love in it in some cases even risking their health without the honor. If it's made a print in the history of one or both organizations it should be made a part of the organizations history.

Just a thought I had that I decided to share. 

No guilt here, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I would change the topic title to NAMBA and Hall of Fame, since you are currently not a member of IMPBA.

But the people I was talking to are or have been in both. That is why I mentioned both. Also I have raced in both, payed money to events in both, sponsored events in both as well as supported both memberships with products and services... as well as APBA.

Roger,

Great topic. I think some of the older people still competing in RC boat racing after 

30, 40, or 50+ years deserve to be recognized. This hobby has been great for me 

personally, and a few of my older friends still have not gotten the credit that they

deserve in my opinion. 

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Roger,
Great topic. I think some of the older people still competing in RC boat racing after 
30, 40, or 50+ years deserve to be recognized. This hobby has been great for me 
personally, and a few of my older friends still have not gotten the credit that they
deserve in my opinion. 
Thanks For Reading,
Mark Sholund
Just some things for people to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two different organizations pretty much it.

i think a lot has been talked about, argued and fought about online about the differences in the 2 organizations. Maybe you should

bring up your comments and concerns to the IMPBA Board of directors that’s the best way to go about this. 

Julian

Also hall of fame should extend beyond the boundaries of the USA.

Anyone in NAMBA outside the USA is not allowed to join the hall of fame.

Fons

No written criteria to be in the Hall of fame.......... it has always been who is at the wheel when the topic comes around....

Two different organizations pretty much it.

i think a lot has been talked about, argued and fought about online about the differences in the 2 organizations. Maybe you should

bring up your comments and concerns to the IMPBA Board of directors that’s the best way to go about this. 

Julian
Yah Julian that's one way to look at it. But I believe of power in the membership. If the membership is informed and believe in a certain direction collectively then that would be the direction that the leadership takes it. Officers are only supposed to be representatives of their collective groups/areas. 

Joe.. Section D in the Rule Book (IMPBA) page D1.. (not sure about NAMBA..

I have wrote proposals in the past. The IMPBA follows that VERY strictly.. 

I have been on both sides of Section D. writing and receiving. The writing part was a challenge. The BOD were VERY picky on wording and adhering to the written callout.

So many deserving members... some much more then I. I was VERY humbled to say the least.

Grim

Also hall of fame should extend beyond the boundaries of the USA.

Anyone in NAMBA outside the USA is not allowed to join the hall of fame.

Fons
Fons, I believe Garry Jeffery from Calgary is in the Namba hall of fame

Fons, no where in the rules does it state US only. You got bad info. 

Roger, do the people that you mentioned meet the criteria laid out in the rule books of the organization in question? If so have you done the necessary paperwork to nominate them? What do you think should be changed about the current rules? 

Fons, no where in the rules does it state US only. You got bad info. 

Roger, do the people that you mentioned meet the criteria laid out in the rule books of the organization in question? If so have you done the necessary paperwork to nominate them? What do you think should be changed about the current rules? 
Good Questions. I didn't mention any names of people I thought should be considered. Merely I was amazed at who wasn't in there. With their contributions I would have thought that they were. Not sure if the necessary paperwork to nominate them was submitted. But again I would have thought it would have been. Surely I could submit the paper work if he has not. To answer your last question. After reading the rules again, What I think could change would be that someone has to be resubmitted to be considered for an additional year. It should be rolled over to the next year automatically. Perhaps maybe  a point system should be created instead of a vote. In reading the rules it states that the Hall of Fame is not a popularity contest but it relies of votes. Unfortunately, If a BOD is not intimately familiar with a persons contributions they may not hold them in higher regard of someone they are intimately familiar with that has less accomplishment. A point systems would allow the highest points to be entered that year. And perhaps a minimum amount of points is required to be considered. This can all be transparent so people know how well qualified their candidate is before they even submit them.

Again. Just a thought. 

I hope Jerry Dunlap can chime in here and add to the conversation. I believe he is the chair of the Hall of Fame for NAMBA. In any case it's hard to really draw a circle around who is or isn't criteria because this is a subjective decision based on some guidelines. The most important thing to remember is that YOU HAVE TO BE NOMINATED by someone to even be considered in NAMBA. Even if you have someone is well deserving, someone must nominate them and tell their story to the current HOF members so that they can vote on whether to admit that person. 

If you believe there is someone who has been overlooked then fill out the nomination and submit it.  If you know someone who has been nominated and not admitted, even then then there could have been multiple submissions and they may have chosen someone else they thought was more deserving within that selection of candidates.

Roger to your point, it is not the BOD that votes on the HOF, I believe it is the HOF members themselves that constitute the voting members.

I am not the chair nor have I ever participated in the process but this is MHO of how this all works from discussions I have had with people who have.

Thank you David for doing an excellent job of summarizing the current NAMBA HOF format.   As you stated, unless someone is nominated they cannot be considered.   Just being nominated does not insure being selected.   

JD

NAMBA HOF Chair

In the Pass. Passed & Present Directors & Presidents  looked around to push whoever they seemed fit. possible in their own districts.. Parts vendors & distributors &  Others that made a Partical living at selling within the Boat RC Hobby have always been taboo.. Some have finally made it.  But they should have made it much sooner on their Merits alone.. It requires a Movement or a Big Push to  get the Peeps you are Speaking of  elected into the Hall of Fame... Good Luck Roger Hooks in  getting pass a lot of RED TAPE....... 

Joe,

I suspect that could be true. I did not however experience that when I wrote my first HOF proposal (IMPBA)... hum.. lets see now.. that was sometime back in 2001 or so. (almost 20 years ago now, wow times flys).

This guy was VERY well deserving and and i struggled to get the verbiage right for the BOD and to make sure I hit every point regarding his esteemed RC boating career. I had to do it a few times to get it right.. I did not give up and it (the proposal) was accepted. I presented it to the BOD at the Internets BOD meeting.. Its at that point they voted.

What was nice was to see the process in action and be a part of it. (I have no idea what getting into the HOF entailed before 1999 or so) but based on my experience the method I used appeared to be in place for some time.

Just one account.. I cannot speak for others.

Take care

Grim

Back