Ajustible Canard Wings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGracey

So how many of U folks running 1/8th scale hydro's with adjustable front canards wing's us a servo to control the wings pitch angle is it really worth the extra servo and control linkage weight

Weight isn't really the issue. A couple of ounces in a 14lb boat is minimal. Reliability is the issue. I personally would not build movable surfaces at all. They tend to be fragile. I would build them solid and bullet proof.

So 44 views and 0 replies , I will toss my worthless .02 in Tom .

IMHO- the servo and linkage, weight wise, really shouldnt be an issue- 

Its how it could be fully utilized is the problem- again, just my opinion - but it would nearly take a gyro to make it achieve what i believe your thinking about accomplishing- and at that I dont think it could keep up. I certainly could be wrong, but if memory serves- we have have been over this a time or two over the years here, a search may reveal more info  ;)   

If anything , I would think you could try and add canard trim up/down in relation to rudder input with mixing, but that opens an entirely different can of worms.

Im sure someone who has actually played with it may offer some more input, just wanted to get the ball rolling for ya  B)

Andy 

Edit - Mark replied why I was typing my novel- lmao 

Last edited by a moderator:
With having a strong airplane background and tons of experience...movable surfaces on boat should not be any less or more fragile than airplane surfaces at 50+ mph...

But defiantly gyro controlled on the rudder or elevator output from the gyro..

And sensativity can be controlled as well...

Front wings are inherently unstable.  Rear wings help stabilize the main wing running in ground effect.  We've done a lot of experimenting with this.  See [SIZE=11pt]http://namba.com/content/library/propwash/2017/April/#14/  [/SIZE] for the details.  None of these auxiliary wings are large enough, especially at model scales, to work well.  The best way to operate a front canard is with an attitude gyro that tries to maintain a set angle of attack.  The auxiliary wings needed to stabilize a wing in ground effect are huge, even at full size.  See below.

Lohring Miller

Caspian Sea Monster.jpg

With having a strong airplane background and tons of experience...movable surfaces on boat should not be any less or more fragile than airplane surfaces at 50+ mph...

But defiantly gyro controlled on the rudder or elevator output from the gyro..

And sensativity can be controlled as well...
Robert,

Its not so much the aero that's the problem, as far as being fragile, but the hydro. It's what happens when a boat turns into a kite and then hits the water. Planes don't usually impact water. But when they do, they come from together. As will adjustable canards.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Yea...I realized the overall issue.....after the submit button was pressed...thank you for bringing reality back into check..

It would be cool though to have more aerodynamic control over a boat to avoid the costly mishaps

I'm really interested in a rear wing on a gyro. As Lohring stated, the goal would be for consistent angle of attack. I also feel that it could save some blow overs which are going to rip up your tailfeathers.

I have an E-flight T-38 with stabilization gyros and a Blade 270 Heli that self levels. These systems really work and are faster reacting than the eye can perceive. I'm too scared to mess with the gyro programming on these models, but I have read a bit about it. The one concern is that nitro models vibrate enough to confuse the gyro and most gyro manufactures are hesitant say they work on nitro models.

Good link on gyro basics below. Tips on nitro installations included. Then go on to read about head holding gyros.

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-gyro.html

We ran the model pictured below with the rear wing at various fixed angles.  We were looking at take off performance, but I was surprised at how little difference it made in attitude or speed while running.  The forward sponsons are the main stabilizer for the main wing.  Mikes later design eliminated the wing.  Both ran well at around 100 mph. 

Maybe a gyro will be quick enough to catch a blow over early.  However after a point, the change in the main wing center of lift as the boat starts to fly can't be overcome even in full scale unlimiteds.  Their canards have an active "computer" operating it, the driver.  Things happen slowly enough at full size so a skilled driver is quick enough most of the time.

Lohring Miller

quarter scale electric1.jpg

Mike and GX2 Rigger.jpg

You're welcome.  I'm trying to bring together the work of many racers in one location for everyone's benefit.

Lohring Miller

What one has to remember is that, on the full sized unlimited, the rear wing is only used to fine tune the boat's ride.  Everything else is done with the boat's hull design, props and internal systems placement.  

To illustrate my point, I only have to go back to the 1970 and 1973 Pay'N Pak hulls. 

During the 1970 season, the first of the boats ran with two Chrysler big block engines, connected in series, driving the prop.  Since the engines were relatively light, there wasn't much weight in the hull.  The engines were, however, unable to get the boat up to the speeds needed to be a consistent contender due to lack of power and reliability issues.  It was, however, a fairly stable hull, considering it was a new design.

Prior to the 1971 season, the boat was refitted with a Merlin, much heavier than the Chryslers, and the hull was rearranged internally.  The boat was faster but unstable due to the weight distribution.  It wasn't until 1973, when it ran as the Budweiser, that the boat was tamed down and became a true competitor.  The only boat to beat it was the brand new Pay'N Pak, a boat that was also very light due to it's construction as well as highly unstable.  It was such a challenge to drive that only three men were able to win with it consistently:

Mickey Remund

George Henley

Bill Muncey

The only other driver to ever win with the 73 Pak hull was Ron Snyder.  He scored one victory with the boat in the early 80s, running with a methanol powered turbo Allison.  The engine was heavier and also required twice the fuel load when compared to when the boat ran the Merlin, making the boat much heavier than when Remund, Henley and Muncey drove it to four consecutive national championships.  The added weight tamed the boat's ride but newer boats were able to beat it due to newer and better designs 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back