Outboard and pipe id

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hall

Does anyone know what model cmb 21 this power head is and what type of pipe?

pebM3SU.jpg

z6ARjPM.jpg

qLfSIO2.jpg

Thanks, do you know much about them? Google doesnt seem to hold much info. I got the power head and pipe years ago as part of a package, finally got around to mounting it to a lower and have it bolted on the back of a htb290

Everything you have is good stuff. .The power head is overall quite old (oh... early 2000s).. the pipe goes back further.

The 290 is a very good boat. 

If you feel you are going to get this running. I would VERY closely check the bearings in the motor.. the rust on the outside tells me there is a high probability there is rust on the inside.

Rebuild the motor with new bearings (PTO too) and go over everything.. start and enjoy!

Grim

About to go take it for a test run, I only have an x438/2 and prather 215 prop for it, hopefuly the x438 should work for a test run

Wasn't very successful, o-rings in the carb have gone hard. 

Also what glo plugs should I be running in it?

Wasn't very successful, o-rings in the carb have gone hard. 

Also what glo plugs should I be running in it?
I wouldn’t even bother to fire up that engine without replacing the bearings. Also check the conrod and wristpin. A good running 21 engine will need perfect bearings and wristpin. When bearings are worn it starts to eat plugs very quick. 

MCCoy #9 or KB HP 7300 is very good plugs. 50-60% nitro

I wouldn’t even bother to fire up that engine without replacing the bearings. Also check the conrod and wristpin. A good running 21 engine will need perfect bearings and wristpin. When bearings are worn it starts to eat plugs very quick. 

MCCoy #9 or KB HP 7300 is very good plugs. 50-60% nitro
When I got it I replaced the bearings and then never ran it, they are still like new, ill pull it apart and check the rod.

Will it need 50%? 

Also where can I buy parts for it like a new con rod, piston and liner?

And ive found another pipe, which would be the better one to run?

IMG_20190119_211111.jpg

When I got it I replaced the bearings and then never ran it, they are still like new, ill pull it apart and check the rod.

Will it need 50%? 

Also where can I buy parts for it like a new con rod, piston and liner?

And ive found another pipe, which would be the better one to run?

View attachment 98898
If I were you I would ask Stu Barr if he can provide you some parts. If Stu can’t help you may contact Mauro Braghieri directly and ask if there is any parts left for this engine. I guess Andy Brown would know a lot about this engine as well. As for the nitro I would not go any lower than 40%, you will loose too much torque. That Irwine pipe is good, don’t know which one would be the best option, both should be ok

If I were you I would ask Stu Barr if he can provide you some parts. If Stu can’t help you may contact Mauro Braghieri directly and ask if there is any parts left for this engine. I guess Andy Brown would know a lot about this engine as well. As for the nitro I would not go any lower than 40%, you will loose too much torque. That Irwine pipe is good, don’t know which one would be the best option, both should be ok
Ive just stripped it down, the big end rod bush has a bit of play.

How do I contact Stu Barr or Andy Brown? I dont know who they are.

that engine is more like '97 if not older. the small bearing is an odd size . i doubt you will find anything that will fit. the bore,stroke,crank diameters have all changed a few times since. if the bearings are good  run it till its dead then get something that at least has parts in production. p.s idk how guys even get a 21 to start with a cold plug,u lean the engine out soo far that it has no lube and no power. a good mc59 will be peppy 

Joern...

How about take the con rod to a local machine shop and have a new bearing made and pressed in... Not a big deal..

I took the crank and rod to a machinist I know, he made a new bush for the rod but he said the crank pin is slightly out of round, so I'll just run it until it's stuffed and then buy a new power head

KRE here in AU will be able to help out with a new rod to keep you going. I have the same setup, not going to win you a state title but good enough for club racing.

Back