timimg number differenses between XMv1 and XMv2 outboards?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekern

Anyone compare the timing numbers on the two versions of os outboards? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Air cooled head, Extended can, and now rod. Other than that they are identical. Oh yeah. The price is different too...

Ok...so the water cooled version is gone.

So it looks like they were going for the K&B SS outboard motor..and out did it ..in a way.

Be careful in the heat of the summer with the air cooled engine. Just a little over the needle and you will loose your piston and liner fit. If you hear it sag in the corners don't keep running it without adjusting the needle richer. It's best to keep a slight crackle in the engine unless you are racing.

-Carl

It could be just me but I've also noticed that the sleeve seems to be pinched differently now as well. The new batches allow the piston to be pushed almost flush( or just over) with the top of the sleeve with your finger. No kidding. I've gotten two p/s sets from Shaw in the last year and both were like that. I just received another one from Shaw in the last two weeks and it is the same. Gone is the feeling of solid compression when you put in a new set and turn it over. You do feel pinch, but the compression is not like it felt in the water cooled version. After the motor has broken in you can feel the bump come in. but it is much easier to kill a p/s set now by overheating it.

Bill

I have two new one and the piston at the top is under cut .005 and .100 down for the top of the piston.Are you seeing this allso.

Dave

It could be just me but I've also noticed that the sleeve seems to be pinched differently now as well. The new batches allow the piston to be pushed almost flush( or just over) with the top of the sleeve with your finger. No kidding. I've gotten two p/s sets from Shaw in the last year and both were like that. I just received another one from Shaw in the last two weeks and it is the same. Gone is the feeling of solid compression when you put in a new set and turn it over. You do feel pinch, but the compression is not like it felt in the water cooled version. After the motor has broken in you can feel the bump come in. but it is much easier to kill a p/s set now by overheating it.
Bill I have noticed that as well. Break-in time is much quicker but you can kill this P/S set quickly as well by overheating. Performance on these are over-the-top, mostly because they run hotter and the pipe extension was a home run for sure. I was thinking the crank had some changes, maybe what Carl mentioned earlier, but I have not compared side-by-side. 

I thought the cranks were identical, I know the V1 has zero turbo cutting on it, and Im fairly sure the V2 is the exact same crank? 

Who was it, Kris Flynn that made the chrome over brass/bronze sleeves and pistons? If you are using them the timing is different between all of them and also different from the stock p/s's. The difference is because the flanges on the brass ones are all slightly different. I got 5 of them and had to get the bottom of the flanges milled so I could get the same settings. On the water cooled engines, inside the water jacket, I put a small length fuel line inside to run a bit warmer.

Defiantly different part numbers for both..

V1 crank 23852000

V1 P/S 23803010

V2 crank 23852010

V2 P/S 23853000

V1 crank pic

23852000.jpg

What I have seen on the cranks on both engines is on the water cooled the crank pin has a oil hole drilled in it for rod lube  and on the air cooled one doesn't.

Who was it, Kris Flynn that made the chrome over brass/bronze sleeves and pistons? If you are using them the timing is different between all of them and also different from the stock p/s's. The difference is because the flanges on the brass ones are all slightly different. I got 5 of them and had to get the bottom of the flanges milled so I could get the same settings. On the water cooled engines, inside the water jacket, I put a small length fuel line inside to run a bit warmer.
Those are the RG piston sleeves. If you have a stock of them I would hoard them like a mofo...  :ph34r:

Back