Heat wrapping

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeRcBoats

I've seen several boats on the forum with heat wrapping around the pipes, so I decided I also want to give it a try. I've orderd some rescue tape and currently waiting for it arrives. 

Before I start on it, I have a couple of questions:

- I intend to use it on riggers, for what size engines does it work best? (I've got 21's, 45's and 84/91)

- I also got some outboards (21/45), but never seen pictures from wrapped pipes. I think it would work there well with all the water splashing on the pipe?

- Do you only wrap the pipe, or also the header?

- Once the wrap is on, what to you change on the setup, rich it a bit?

Thanks for the help.

I use tommy tape because i like colourful pipes lol..

Tape will create heat in the pipe which can  help with tuning/length 

And can help to dampen noise especially on Macs pipes.

20190115_192332.jpg

I was told by the late Jim Wilson that by rapping the pipe it doe's two thing.It trick the pipe in being shorter then it is and by holding more heat in you have to richen the needle.With more fuel in the engine the more horse power the engine makes.I believe wrapping a outboard pipe it will do the same.That pipe is sitting in the wide open  air keeping it cool and not coming up to temp like it should

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, that is what I expected.

Looks nice the ceramic finish, but I'll try the tape first  B)

Mark,

Inside and outside of the pipes are treated.

playing around with head buttons and tops of pistons also.

Some really nice coatings.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

we use to have a place down hear that did excellent work, they did all our headers on racecars, lasted for ever, not in business anymore, at the time they were the only ones doing inside of headers.

Thanks Julian, also your pictures got me thinking about giving it a try.

Did you run them also without the wrap and what did you change in the setup, also richen them, and possbly shorten the pipe?

How did you prepare the pipes, just degrease them and then apply the tape?

Thanks Julian, also your pictures got me thinking about giving it a try.

Did you run them also without the wrap and what did you change in the setup, also richen them, and possbly shorten the pipe?

How did you prepare the pipes, just degrease them and then apply the tape?
 I ran this boat with and without the tommy tape.  No change in set up  whatsoever. I did shortened the pipe because I was alittle long and played and see what the engines like. Ultimately I end up at 9 1/4” I tried different pipe lengths with the Tommy tape but I ended up at 9” but I’m going to put them at eventually 9 1/4”. 

I did have to go richer because I’m keeping more heat in as stated above. 

I wraped my pipes 2 times. 

Yes just deagreased them and and then I applied a thin layer meaning I pulled the tape tight.  then I put another wrap without pulling the tape tight and went to test  

Julian 

Thanks for the info, so 2 layers of tape, didn't know that.

Still waiting for the tape to arrive.
everyone will tell you something different I tell you what I use everyone else might tell you something different. I know what works for me.

Finally got the tape and put in on a pipe today. This is 45 pipe with add-on muffler. I got a roll of 10 feet. I did one layer of tape, that took about 5 feet. So I can only do one pipe with one roll. I already ordered some extra rolls for other pipes.

Julian, did you let the first layer dry before putting on the second layer or did you do that at once?

HW1.jpg

HW2.jpg

Where do you get the tape? If it's a used pipe whats best to clean it with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Finally got the tape and put in on a pipe today. This is 45 pipe with add-on muffler. I got a roll of 10 feet. I did one layer of tape, that took about 5 feet. So I can only do one pipe with one roll. I already ordered some extra rolls for other pipes.

Julian, did you let the first layer dry before putting on the second layer or did you do that at once?

View attachment 100178

View attachment 100179
I did it all at once  the thin layer and then a regular did it all at once. 

Back