Electric sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACTION JACKSON

Supporting Member
I want to set up a 20 sport hydro electric and I'm looking for information. batteries motors props and speed controller. thanks for any help as well a bear hull weight suggestion also. 

Steve,

Easy to make a recommendation, but first a couple of questions:

Do you plan on racing within either NAMBA or IMPBA?  If yes, which one or both?

Do you want a "limited" set-up or an open set-up?  Limited typically refers to a motor limit.  NAMBA and IMPBA use different rules here.  Limited motors are often the Aquacraft and Proboat 36mm motors.  Although both organizations are moving towards a diameter and length limit to open up the pool of available motors.

If you prefer an open motor, do you want inexpensive system system, balance of cost and power or the absolute balls to wall crazy power system?

A lot will also depend if you prefer building wood kits or semi finished fiberglass hulls.

I put together an Arno Brits (now Leecraft) sport 20 with an Neu 1515 1Y (2200 KV) motor and a Castle Phoenix Edge Lite 200 ESC with added water cooling.  I planned to run it on 2 4S 5000 mah packs in parallel.  At around 26,000 loaded prop rpm it should run standard  40 to 45 mm sport 20 props.  Check with Brian Buaas for better information on props.  That would fit the unlimited NAMBA or IMPBA P sport hydro classes.  Some day I'll find an excuse to actually race it.

Lohring Miller

Thanks for the info guys I do want to run unlimited and I also want to get at least 50 miles per hour out of the 20. I don't mind spending a bit of money if need be and I do prefer fiberglass over wood although I do see some nice wood kits out there but by the time you get done putting together ceiling sanding finishing and painting for me it would be better to use fiberglass Hull. For props in what area or number of prop size are we talkin about

Steve,

The two best glass hulls are the Phil Thomas Stealth and Insane FE30.  

The PT Stealth is epoxy glass versus the Insane FE being gelcoat and polyester.  The Stealth does take a fair bit of pin hole filling and prep for paint, but I believe is a better hull.

To achieve 50 mph, I would recommend the following for a power system:

Motors:

TP 4060 1950kv or a TP4050 2100/2350kv motor

Castle 1515 1Y

ESC:

Swordfish X+220A or OSE Raider 150A if you use the TP4050 2100

Batteries:  45-80C, 4S2P 8000-10000mAh total.  Many options here to choose from.

Props:

Octura X440/3, X447, X450, ABC 1716, 1814, 1914

That will get you 50mph pretty easy with low stress on the power system.

I believe Ron Shaw is building the Leecraft sport 20. My hull was going to be a plug for the design.   Alfred Lanza had good luck with it as a nitro boat.  See

Lohring Miller

Thanks a bunch guys. I have looked at a few hulls from ml boatworks, Phill's boat & I see Ron is getting to put his new boat out. I also looked at the Blazer sport 20 & all are very good boats. Ron on your boat can you tell me how deep you sponson are.  I do need these questions answered so I can choose the boat for my needs. Thanks for all your help guys. 

Thanks a bunch guys. I have looked at a few hulls from ml boatworks, Phill's boat & I see Ron is getting to put his new boat out. I also looked at the Blazer sport 20 & all are very good boats. Ron on your boat can you tell me how deep you sponson are.  I do need these questions answered so I can choose the boat for my needs. Thanks for all your help guys. 
Steve I can tell you from first hand experience if you don't mind gluing some wood together the ML kits are the way to go. I built the 20 size in FE for my wife and I just finished a new nitro sport 40 for myself for the upcoming season that is ballistic. Brad Maglinger has been cleaning up with his ML nitro sport 20 as well for the last 2 seasons. Laser cutting is top notch and super easy to build, hardest part is waiting for epoxy to dry so you can keep going. Build it exactly like the directions tell you and  it's a winner. B)

Thanks Don for your input. I know Brad well & watch his boats run really good. I'm still kicking it around & haven't decided yet. But I do appreciate your input. Thank you. 

You have many great hulls to choose from, MLboatworks, Phil Thomas, LeeCraft, Blazer sport 20 just making the decision is the toughest part.  

Back