Motor location

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be an Andy Brown question

I am installing a 45 VAC where an rs was installed prior in a 45 SGX

Ask me why I am removing the RS, sometimes it is preference, not this time if i showed you a picture of inside of rs you would get it

Question is how far toward the rear of the boat can I place the VAC without seriously affecting the cg and handling

If i can get a satisfactory picture ill put it on here

It is definitely too far forward mounted where the rs was, very little clearance on middle bulkhead and tank.  Thank You for any input

Richard Hartley

OK I uploaded the proposed after and the before pictures the position of the motor after I move it will be approximately .83 inch aft of original position

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that RS damage from the earth quake? Seriously, if you like how the boat handled with the RS, then check where the CG was with it and do what you have to to get the same CG with the VAC.

Thanks John 

Is that RS damage from the earth quake? Seriously, if you like how the boat handled with the RS, then check where the CG was with it and do what you have to to get the same CG with the VAC.

Thanks John 
What John said.  Cg is the important thing to consider.

The RS is on its way to Alaska as we speak. The prior owner did not know how to care for engines at all.

Thanks for the input I

I f that is where it balances properly leave it there and trim the shaft log back and you are good.

Brad

Thanks John 
will do just that. I am in AZ for the winter but my son said some glass broken and bathroom cabinets emptied all over.

Claimed he and half the neighbors were in the street within seconds of of the first shudder.

Don’t move on rail mounts  because will run hopper or turn spin right side 

buy new style 2014 SGX 45 kit long and will fit your CMB 45 Vac 

or buy new CMB 45 RS EVO And will fit your old SGX 45 

Will contact to Andy Brown and will tell about it 

Anywhere  it will fit on the mount is fine. 

You may need to move the fin too. But i would just move the engine first and try it. 

This may be an Andy Brown question

I am installing a 45 VAC where an rs was installed prior in a 45 SGX

Ask me why I am removing the RS, sometimes it is preference, not this time if i showed you a picture of inside of rs you would get it

Question is how far toward the rear of the boat can I place the VAC without seriously affecting the cg and handling

If i can get a satisfactory picture ill put it on here

It is definitely too far forward mounted where the rs was, very little clearance on middle bulkhead and tank.  Thank You for any input

Richard Hartley

OK I uploaded the proposed after and the before pictures the position of the motor after I move it will be approximately .83 inch aft of original position

View attachment 98325

View attachment 98326
I ran a 45 vac in a sgx myself.   I also had to move it back.  Don’t worry about the cg, there is some tolerance , I couldn’t tell a difference in handling.   You will have to turn the flywheel some for the belt, or build a belly pan to clear the belt.  

Richard. I just went thru the same thing with my twin 45. I had Vac engines in it when I decided to change to the RS type engine. mounted the engines close to the same Location where the vac engines where bolted on to. The different in weight was .12 lbs the boat ran perfect  

Richard. I just went thru the same thing with my twin 45. I had Vac engines in it when I decided to change to the RS type engine. mounted the engines close to the same Location where the vac engines where bolted on to. The different in weight was .12 lbs the boat ran perfect  
is there an obvious difference, or gain, in speed now using the CMB RS's ?

You can do it but don’t move the motor  it won’t  work well with the cowl you can notch the boom tube after putting a dowl of wood or aluminum into the boom to support it.

Or just put a nova in it where the rs  was. 

Just have Walt build a slant front tank with a Tee Pee on top. problem solved.........

LOL Danny

You and I seem to be on the same page

Last night before I stopped playing I took out an unused Nova 46dd and it will just drop right in

Problem solved

Thank everyone for your input

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard,

Don't to forget to check air flow to the carburetor. Make sure the cowl clearance to the carb. some cowl don't have the height for the angled carb. also make sure your flotation doesn't obstruct the are flow.

Thank You Bert

I will indeed have to move the cowl forward just a bit and thankfully it can be done easily. Even without moving it there is more clearance with the NR.

Had some other projects yesterday but am back at this today. Servos remounted and water line relocated. Prior owner did not use adjustable needle so there was no provision for that servo either.

Richard

Ran the boat today

Ran it rich initially with a 2217 and it would not get on step, leaned it till it quit with same result

Switched to prather 245 and it lit up and went

boat is really fast but has one very disturbing characteristic in mid turn it hooks violently to right

this can be helped some by slowing and by very little steering input but if one adds throttle in the turn it hooks

straightaways are ok as long as no or very little correction is input

Help!

Ran the boat today

Ran it rich initially with a 2217 and it would not get on step, leaned it till it quit with same result

Switched to prather 245 and it lit up and went

boat is really fast but has one very disturbing characteristic in mid turn it hooks violently to right

this can be helped some by slowing and by very little steering input but if one adds throttle in the turn it hooks

straightaways are ok as long as no or very little correction is input

Help!
My first guess would be that your steering servo does not have enough torque to hold the rudder in position.

Latest posts

Back