Hopper tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGracey

Is there any advantage to running a Hopper tank over just a single fuel tank???? or is it just for more capacity in a hull with limited area like in the Lynx 21IMG_1603.JPG

Is there any advantage to running a Hopper tank over just a single fuel tank???? or is it just for more capacity in a hull with limited area like in the Lynx 21View attachment 98270
I like hopper tanks in everything if I can.

Ensures you have good fuel flow to the engine.  When the main tank gets low, the fuel may slosh away from the pick-up causing an air bubble to be sucked through the line.

Tom

I have the one oz Irwin hopper tanks in stock.$5.00 each plus shipping.They work great for the outboards.You can glue them up under the cowl.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
http://sullivanproducts.com/product/slant-oval/

I have used hopper tanks for too many years. What I have found using a flow meter is the extra fuel tube and tank have significant resistance to fuel flow verses just a single tank. I cant remember loosing a heat running out of fuel with a simple round or rectangular tank that was filled before the heat. The issue for me is height of fuel level and ease of fuel draw to the carb. Going to an upright slant oval I get  a taller fuel supply and less chance of fuel slosh. Not an easy mount but narrow enough for steering rods to straddle.

Mic

Vis 12.JPG

Vision Sulli.JPG

Diddo with the Boss

I have never lost a race because I did not have a hopper tank. I have tested them a bunch and they just were not worth it.

I have not used a hopper in years and see no point in adding one now..

Grim

I've run with and without hopper tanks.  When I needed a big tank to feed an 11 cc engine, there wasn't room for a hopper.  The single tank worked well.  With the pickup in the rear corner of the tank you should be able to run it dry.  However, if you need to make a sharp left turn at the end of the race to avoid an accident, the pickup will be in the wrong place and the engine will quit when the last of the fuel goes to the opposite corner.  Hoppers prevent this.

Lohring Miller

My setup is similar to yours Mic. No problems with the pressurized fuel delivery even with the .4724" bore carb.

JA

PC200001.JPG

PC200002.JPG

If you do run a hopper tank like most of us, the little 3/4 oz. triangle hoppers that Jim Irwin supplied for outboard racers for years were great because they were so small that they could fit right on top of most tanks with no interference issues with cowlings. The hopper actually has added fuel related benefits that are not mentioned on here.  

-Carl

well that just blew everything out of the water how could you not run a hopper tank on any nitro motor that is subject to suck air especially a tunnel boat that is always darting left to right and are bouncing up and down it would  be a benefit to run a hopper tank considering that most tunnel hulls the tank is way lower in the boat in reference to the carb position it's not like a rigger where the carb is almost the same height as the tank dont make no sense  but tom if you want a awesome tank to go in that little hole just let me know thanks john

Its funny John.. years ago I placed some fuel in a clear tank.. I plugged it and taped it to the top of the boat. Expecting to see the fuel "act up" ... this was going to be fun....

what happen.. NOTHING.. the fuel just hung around in the back of the tank.. slow down.. turn what ever.. LOL.. 

No question.. if your fuel is low.. and you have to make a LONG correction.. you will likely take in air.. unless you can keep fuel at the pick up.. (A hopper is not the only solution!)

Having this SUPER HIGH TECH test under my belt..LOL.. I am TOTALLY open to learning more about fuel in our boats. Ya never know...

Sounds like Carl as some knowledge in this area.

Number one for me is tank height. I will take a high CG over a low fuel draw ANY DAY.. 

Grim

I had problems drawing fuel on a modded motor sitting on the back of the Lynx. Put a hopper up high and the draw problem went away. 

Stock motor has never needed the hopper tank.

I have always used hoppers on outboards and never had fuel flow issues. Back when I first started I had a stock 7.5 outboard (no pipe) and if I did not use a hopper the engine would do the "last lap lean out". It seemed like the stock 7.5 outboard was really bad about going lean without a hopper. If you don't mount the hopper too high above or too far away from the main tank and keep the hoses short as possible a hopper should not cause problems. I think a single tank without a hopper has to be well elevated.

Another engine that was bad about the last lap lean out was the air cooled K&B. Had 5 Mod-VP's rigged with those engines and no fuel problems. 

Back