1/6th Scale Winston Lobster

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGracey

1 of my winter projects is a ML Boat works  1/6 scale Winston Lobster Tail running a CMB 27 Alpha 27cc  Rear Exhaust Gas engine 

IMG_1445-1.JPG

I was lucky on one front in that I found out that  Phil Thomas had a plug for the 1/6 cowling, that alone saved countless  hr's of work.

Knocked of my shoes when it arrived only took Phil to weeks to get it to me   LMAO        TNX Phil 

IMG_1446.JPG

This a big ass boat 57.5"oal long, beam is  27.5 at the sponsons 

IMG_1449.JPG

Progress is slow lots of work had it make a rough plug for a belly ban to clear the fly wheel.

Most the bottom skins and rear sponsons are done.  Starting  scaling up the front canard and wings is the next

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

Then out to my machine shop to design and make an aluminum engine mount 

That's really nice...she should run upfront !! I'm building a scale in the very near future .

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

A couple hr's in the machine shop and the engine mounts are almost done, going to add some lightning holes later this close enough for mocking of the stuffing box tube & strut installation

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interesting to see how you fix the CMB 27 engine to the wooden boat, I have similar ML kit and engine combination under construction.

Just remember square drive only on those Alpha motors
Yup know that TNX for the heads up tho. Because of the rotary valve intake  the do not want to thrust end load the crank bearings

Last edited by a moderator:
A square drive doesn't get "clamped" in a collet like a round cable would.  It, therefore, floats in the collet.  This has the advantage of not putting any force against the crank which, in turn, would put pressure on the rear bearing and back plate.  Since there wouldn't be any axial pressure on the engine, it will give more RPM with less stress on the engine parts

The answer to that on this motor is a cmb Alpha does not take much bearing thrust, It will wipe out the engine. When you buy a new engine from Stu he warns you about it on these

The answer to that on this motor is a cmb Alpha does not take much bearing thrust, It will wipe out the engine. When you buy a new engine from Stu he warns you about it on these
Thanks, I was thinking able buying one until someone told me they were having problems with the cmb Alpha gas engine.

Thanks, I was thinking able buying one until someone told me they were having problems with the cmb Alpha gas engine.
its an easy fix run a square drive cable at the strut end with a thrust bearing between the strut and drive dog ,  and round cable drive at the engine no worries

Roger,

I would be happy to talk to you about the new CMB 27.  Call me at 317-462-9978.

Stu
Stu,

I've got two of these gas engines from you, just about to put them into 1/6 scale ML boats, any special note  of using them from you would be appreciated  

Gilbert 

Back